Switching to SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cFolks24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a tall 15g tank and have been wanting to switch it to SW.. I am getting a 30g cichlid tank soon so I figured why not change it now!
Anyways I would appreciate any information on switching over and if anyone has done that??
Also, is it smart to start out with a few corals as well? I'm completely new to saltwater but am willing to jump right in! Thanks

You need to start from scratch. You'll need live rock, salt, sand, powerheads, hydrometer/refractometer, etc.

The best thing you can do right now is research, and a lot of it! You're going to be asking a lot of questions and that's why we're here but sometimes a quick search will do it.

Good luck!

You need to start from scratch. You'll need live rock, salt, sand, powerheads, hydrometer/refractometer, etc.

The best thing you can do right now is research, and a lot of it! You're going to be asking a lot of questions and that's why we're here but sometimes a quick search will do it.

Good luck!

Along with this excellent advice, I would suggest including looking into what interests you SW wise and what will be suitable for that size tank. Besides here, Google is your other best friend.

First quick fact, smaller tanks go wrong quicker than bigger tanks. Second quick fact, don't rush. It'll only cost more in the end. Research, ask questions, and don't believe everything you hear at the LFS unless you know the answer prior to going in there. That's how you know if you're dealing with someone that knows, or just trying to sell ya something.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Okay thanks!! I have been researching over the past week or so.. That's all I pretty much do :)
I know I will want rock in there, but would you guys advise live rock to start out?
Also on my lighting... Every video I look at, the tank has like 2 sets of like (day/night). How would I go about this with the light/hood I have right now? Do I need to get a completely new hood and lights or??
Thanks again!

Exactly.

Smaller tanks typically need a little more attention as parameters can swing quickly. You need to watch specific gravity, temperature, etc.

Don't be afraid though as a lot of us, including me, started with small 10-30g tanks. Mine is currently still up and running perfectly fine.

One thing I can't stress enough though is don't skimp on testing equipment and water quality. Invest in an RODI unit, proper test kits, and a refractometer. I've been using a hydrometer for the past year and I regret it. You want to stay as accurate as possible on a small tank.

Just remember, once you go salt, you don't look back ;)

Okay thanks!! I have been researching over the past week or so.. That's all I pretty much do :)
I know I will want rock in there, but would you guys advise live rock to start out?
Also on my lighting... Every video I look at, the tank has like 2 sets of like (day/night). How would I go about this with the light/hood I have right now? Do I need to get a completely new hood and lights or??
Thanks again!

You don't need to start out with live rock at all but you can speed the cycle if you do. You can go 80% base rock and 20% live for example.

Also, the lighting would only need to change if you want corals. Depending on the dimensions of your tank, there are good, low cost ebay LEDs that I, and other members swear by.

I'll have to look into the lights more! Corals seem interesting! I'm excited though! Thanks for your help :)

Yes lighting will all depend on corals or not. I too started with a 10g nano and I'm currently putting away some extra coin every week to make the empty 40b in my office an expansion of the 10, lol. It's true, once you go salt..... I do still have a 55g FW with five Discus, but I saw a frogspawn on day and was like WOW !!! And then a Ricordia. And then a Pistol Shrimp. And then, well you get the idea !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

So if my tank is tall, (25") what lights should I use.. I was thinking fluorescent but I didn't know if I should use NO or HO for low-moderate corals??
I'm just asking since my tank is deeper rather than wider, which one?

Thanks again!

So if my tank is tall, (25") what lights should I use.. I was thinking fluorescent but I didn't know if I should use NO or HO for low-moderate corals??
I'm just asking since my tank is deeper rather than wider, which one?

Bulk reef supply has great dry rock. It's way cheaper than what you would pay for live rock and doesn't come with any undesirable hitch hikers. It's also safe for the environment. It's collected from a mine rather than pulled from live reefs.

Bulk Dry Live Rock - Bulk Dry Live Rock & Live Sand - Bulk Reef Supply

120w Dimmable Ebay lights are pretty standard for most reef tank users. Especially those just getting into salt water. Each one is enough to light a 2ft section of tank and will let you keep any coral you'd like unless you have a super deep tank. The night lights are far from necessary. I wouldn't even worry about thed tbh.

New Dimmable 120W Aquarium Coral Reef Fish Tank White Blue LED Light Black Shell | eBay

One thing that I HIGHLY recommend everyone get for a tank is a refugium to grow macro algae in. They are simple to make and will help a lot with nutrient export and preventing algae problems.

I agree with Mebbid. You can create some pretty cheap and easy hang on back refugiums using AquaClears.

You can even look into Par38 bulbs for lighting. I'm not too sure how they'd hold up in a 24" tall tank though. Although, you can't go wrong with the 120w panels.

You are getting good advice. These guys on this forum will not hesitate to spec out a build sheet for you. All you have to do is research the fish you want which will probably be 2 small gobies and the corals you are interested in. Ask all the questions you can. Information will clog your brain. Take your time and make good choices.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Awesome, I'll continue to research and learn some more stuff! Thank you guys! Y'all have got me excited to start!
I'll probably set it up sometime in the next month or so, so I might have to come back for a few more things later on! :)
You all were very helpful!

Back
Top Bottom