T5 for nano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dingodan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to retrofit some t5 actinic bulbs into my 18" custom lid. I have one power compact actinic bulb in there but you hardly notice it when the metal halide is on and i really want to add a stronger blue hue. I cant find any t5s smaller than 24" except for a really small one forget how many watts it is but not much maybe 9. Is there a t5 bulb suitable for my lid? Should i try led are they as powerful as t5? Should i try to cram a few of the small t5s in there? Suggestions?

unless you go with 1 watt, or 3 watt LEDs the halide will drown out the supplement when it's on, and those are very expensive. if that's the case, you might as well use a LED pendant and get rid of the halide completely.
what about just using a 20k lamp for the halide?

I thought about the 20k but those are really blue. Also do corals grow under 20k?

of course they do. they aren't as blue as straight actinics. if you are looking for more blue, that's the way to go. try XM 20k. they are very nice lamps.

What is xm why are they better than the others? Are some 20k bulbs not as blue as others? All the ones ive seen are way too blue

some have better PAR numbers than others, and yes, some are more blue. what 20k lamp have you seen? what color temp is the bulb you have now?

What are PAR numbers? I have 14k the 20k bulbs i saw were just in tanks at fish stores dont know what kind they were. I dont want straight blue i just want to add more so its more like half and half rather than white with a hint of blue

PAR is "photosynthetically active radiation". it's the usable light that is emitted from our fixtures that corals need for photosynthesis. a bulb can be bright, but not have a lot of PAR. generally, the higher the kelvin, or color temp, the lower the PAR. this is why you want a bluer bulb that has good PAR numbers.
the highest PAR lamps are 6000-1000k, but many of them look quite yellow, which makes the tank appear ugly.
a happy medium is what most people strive for.

nanotuners.com have some 18" t5-rs wich have reflectors (hence the r) built in. I use them for actinic suppliments with my halides.

Back
Top Bottom