Taking the plunge!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Easyflip

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, gonna buy rock and sand, where is the best? DSB or not to DSB, that is the question! 30 gal nano species only seahorses and softie corals, so far innovative marine 30 gal tank and innovative marine skimmer, intank filter upgrade, Ai nano sol light. Skimmer or no on a nano? Fuge or not on a nano? Real seawater or not? reactors overkill? Dosing? Bio balls evil? Cycle with a dead shrimp? UV sterilizer? It's pretty frickin confusing! ..... But I love it : )

Not sure if there's a real question in there. I've been studying too, there's so much information on theses boards. If you have any specific questions there are some very knowledgable people around these boards. Good luck and keep us up to date with what you're doing. Add some pics once your water has cleared up and you've got some initial readings. You may have to reiterate your end goal. Stick with it!

Thanks for the reply! At this stage my question is best place to get live rock and maybe the best type of rock. You're right, plenty of knowledge on these boards, I've learned a lot reading about everything. I'll post a pic when I'm cycling and get advice for best next step.

The best place to get live rock is from another reefer in your area. You can usually find someone with seeded rock for sale for 2-3 dollars per pound versus 7-8 at your local fish store. I see you plan to keep seahorses, if thats the case then a refugium is an absolute must. Seahorses survive by eating copepods, if you dont know what they are google it. So in order to keep seahorses you need an ongoing population of copepods in your aquarium. A refugium gives the pods a place to breed and reproduce without being preyed upon by the seahorses. Basic instructions for cycling a tank. Put in all your rock and sand. I recommend about a one inch deep sand bed. Use ro/di water and a good salt mix. Do not use water from the ocean it is not clean. Get your salt mix to the correct specific gravity. Put water in your tank. Tie up a market shrimp in an old pantyhose and place in the tank. Wait two weeks and take the shrimp out. Check your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. When ammonia levels reach zero your cycle is complete and its time to do a water change and add a clean up crew and a small hardy fish. This could take up to a month so be patient. Only add a few critters at a time because the cycle is over doesnt mean the bacteria population in your tank is big enough to handle any bioload. If you add say 3 or 4 fish at once and the bacteria can't handle the breakdown of all the poo then your ammonia levels will rise and everything in the tank will die. Take your time and read read read google, reef central, any forum you can find. But most importantly take your time!

I will add this, but before I do want to mention I'm very new to this.

I got my LR and SW from the lfs and have basically not shown a cycle or a very small cycle. It's possible I'm still in my mini cycle. My ammonia has never been above .25ppm and my ph is steady at 8.2. There is the general rule of thumb; ammonia, nitrite, then nitrate, however I've got a fresh and an SW neither of them have been a textbook cycle from my understanding of how it works. I would suggest you get the standard API Saltwater Test kit, and the Reef Master Test Kit. The first is for testing and ensuring your Nitrogen cycle is going correctly, or at the very least so you can keep an eye on it. The second is for you to be able to test for stuff your corals will need. Both my fresh and salt were seeded so I have/am going through a mini cycle and from what I've read and experienced it's different than a standard Nitrogen Cycle. I hope this hasn't confused you, I was only talking about what I've experienced with my own tanks vs. what I've read and been told. Remain calm what others tell you and what you experience may differ, that doesn't mean you've done something wrong it means there are no absolutes in this world.

Thanks for the advice. It's great having such a helpful community. I'm ready now to find rock and sand and start my cycle. I do plan on a refugium to breed pods but I'm going with captive bred seahorses that eat frozen mysis, the pods will give them something to do and an occasional treat when they catch one. I'll probably feed gut loaded brine shrimp once in a while too. But I'm getting ahead of myself, first the cycle, I'll post pics of the scape with some test numbers when it's up and running, here's the tank so far...

Attachments

• image-3236626706.jpg
    image-3236626706.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 85
This weekend! Lfs has both but I'm also checking Craigslist . I'll post a pic as soon as its up!

Back
Top Bottom