Taking the plunge on BioCube 14 build adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
0o.Kelsey.o0 said:
haha yah 14 gallon is kind of an odd size, you can't get the larger minimum 30 gallon sized fish but the smaller 10 gallon ones seem too small.

The tail spot blenny still seems perfect for the tank though. Actually looking on liveaquaria I see you still have quite a few options. Yay!

Oh yes, I have options. Tail spot blenny is currently at the top of the list. :) and liveaquaria has one in diver's den.

I got shipping confirmation email about that faucet adaptor, so hopefully I'll get it by Friday. I can't wait to set up the cube, even had a couple of "fishy" dreams haha!

Still following and waiting for the big build up. lol

Sounds like you'll be forging ahead very shortly. :-D

Hi Vampiregirl!! I had a flaming prawn goby in my 11g tank for 6 months and I never saw it hiding, try your luck!

But since you are a vampire he maybe scared from you ;)

Not yet. I have sand and salt and I ordered an adapter for the stupid ro/di that doesn't want to fit on my faucet. :(

On the other hand, it gives me time to carefully consider livestock. I was ready to spend $$ on a Flaming prawn goby. Such a gorgeous fish! But I'm having second thoughts now after reading that most of the time it's nearly impossible to spot it once it's in the tank what with all the hiding. Ahhh, but he is sooo beautiful!!!

skidrow52 said:
Hi Vampiregirl!! I had a flaming prawn goby in my 11g tank for 6 months and I never saw it hiding, try your luck!

But since you are a vampire he maybe scared from you ;)

Hi skidrow,
Yes, I think I will try since I can't get rid of the idea and I'm a good vampire so the little guy won't be afraid of me lol :)

Sooo...
After waiting and waiting for that nano live rock at Liveaquaria to be back in stock, I lost patience and went out and bought a few pieces of live rock. It's nearly not enough but it's a start.
The rocks are now swimming in my bucket of salt water. I got a little crab with the rock. What should I do with him now??? Just leave him there?
And also I found a teeny tiny sea star on one of rocks!!! What do I do do with that???
Oh and another question. Should I somehow clean the rocks? I looked closely and found several tenticly looking stuff on the rocks. What could that be?

Attachments

• image-266531361.jpg
    image-266531361.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 258
  • image-1403287136.jpg
    image-1403287136.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 257
Nice that will get your cycle going for sure! Most little hitch hiker crabs are bad (grow and eventually can catch and kill your fish). Does the 14 gallon have a back compartment? you could put him back there or bring him back to the LFS. The star fish is an asterina starfish, it should be fine. Some have been known to eat corals but I would leave it, If you ever see it constantly on your coral then I would remove it.

You can scrub the rock if you want but I would leave it, that extra dead stuff on the outside will help the cycle along. You don't need any light for the rock either, it might encourage algae growth.

Okay, I'll do that. My cube does have a back compartment and I'll think about putting it there but I'll probably just end up taking him back. I was planning on a snail only CUC or maybe with scarlet hermits who I've read are the safest hermits for snails.
I don't really know if that stuff is dead because the rock was kept in a huge tub at the LFS and then I brought it home. It was out of the water for only 5 mins and was still wet when I put it in the bucket :)

You might not have much of a cycle then at all! I sure didn't in my pico. Make sure to add a few flakes of food or some shrimp to the rock to continue to feed the good bacteria.

I'd probably take the crab back too, I always feel so bad but it would creep me out to have to put my hand in the back if there was a crab. I always put my hitchhikers in out large tank's sump, makes me feel better since I didn't kill them and I can keep an eye on them in there, even feed them sometimes.

Congratulations!! Looks like the rocks are not cured, you can use them directly in your tank to cure + cycle your tank and change 25-30% water every 10-15 days until your tank parameters are good to add live stock. Make sure your run your skimmer.

Note, the possum wrasse are pretty sensitive fish. Buddy and I both got one, from different stores, he got his to his tank and never saw it again.

Mine got to the store pretty beat up. They nursed it back to health and then it disappeared as well after 4 weeks of getting back to looking good... then gone.Happy i didn't loose my 60$ on that!

Morning :)

Just be aware that each time you add a new piece of rock you are going to cause a mini-cycle even if you pre-cure in a transit tank. It would really be best to get all the rock you need and cure everyhting at once, or try and locate an alternate source for the liverock online. Make sure, just for your own protection, to really check out any potential vendor. Some are not as trustworthy as they make out.

The rock at aquariumarts.com is pricey but the vendor has an excellent following and the rock is 100% cured. This vendor will talk with you, I mean talk, to make sure what you are ordering is correct for your needs.

0o.Kelsey.o0 said:
You might not have much of a cycle then at all! I sure didn't in my pico. Make sure to add a few flakes of food or some shrimp to the rock to continue to feed the good bacteria.

Yes, I was wondering if I should add some food. Does it have to be marine food? I haven't bought any yet as I wasn't planning on any livestock just yet.

skidrow52 said:
Congratulations!! Looks like the rocks are not cured, you can use them directly in your tank to cure + cycle your tank and change 25-30% water every 10-15 days until your tank parameters are good to add live stock. Make sure your run your skimmer.
Actually they are cured. :)

maxst2 said:
Note, the possum wrasse are pretty sensitive fish. Buddy and I both got one, from different stores, he got his to his tank and never saw it again.

Mine got to the store pretty beat up. They nursed it back to health and then it disappeared as well after 4 weeks of getting back to looking good... then gone.Happy i didn't loose my 60$ on that!
It was just an idea. But it would have to be instead of a clown and I really want a clownfish!
Good to know about potential issues with the fish.

tlkng1 said:
Morning :)

Just be aware that each time you add a new piece of rock you are going to cause a mini-cycle even if you pre-cure in a transit tank. It would really be best to get all the rock you need and cure everyhting at once, or try and locate an alternate source for the liverock online. Make sure, just for your own protection, to really check out any potential vendor. Some are not as trustworthy as they make out.

The rock at aquariumarts.com is pricey but the vendor has an excellent following and the rock is 100% cured. This vendor will talk with you, I mean talk, to make sure what you are ordering is correct for your needs.
Thanks for the warning. I wasn't going to add any livestock until I have all the rock I need and probably change the scape a couple of times lol!
I'll check out that vendor.

With live rock you don't need to add additional food for the cycle..the live rock will supply everything :) If you want to add more, go with a small piece, about 1/2 inch, raw shrimp. Just for ease of reach, I would pt it inside somehting like a filter bag so you can easily retrieve it later.

My Christmas is today!!! Just got my live rock. When I gave up on nano live rock from Liveaquaria, I went ahead and ordered 10lbs of cured Manado live rock. The shipping nearly killed me but anyways... Here it is!

Oh and can somebody please tell me what those things are in the last two pics? The very last one is a worm. Do I want it in my tank? And I've no idea what those tiny branch-looking things might be.
Thanks. :)

Attachments

• image-2486435931.jpg
    image-2486435931.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 265
  • image-615622611.jpg
    image-615622611.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 275
  • image-644557374.jpg
    image-644557374.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 262
  • image-3379988625.jpg
    image-3379988625.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 272
  • image-199340303.jpg
    image-199340303.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 273
  • image-1246824416.jpg
    image-1246824416.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 275
Then I'll ditch it too. I hate wormy snaky creatures. When I was unwrapping the rock and first saw the worm - right next to my hand- I nearly dropped the rock. Yikes! The only reason I'd keep it is if it were very beneficial to the tank. If it's not essential I'll gladly get rid of it.

I don't think it's essential, but some people like to keep the critters that hitch a ride on their LR. Like bristle worms. If I had any I'd take em out but some people like them.

It might be the chick thing, but I don't want anything creppy or slimy in my tank. lol

Strange..it looks like an earthworm...maybe it is a mutant :) or a naked bristle worm (bristles must be out for cleaning :) )

Have to agree..I'd evict it.

The other stuff is an algae of some sort. It will probably die off in the cycling process but for now I'd keep it..every little bit helps with the cycling. :)

Thanks, tlkng1. I already netted out one worm. It was swimming like crazy around the bucket! Creepy thingy! I know there's one more in there.

Back
Top Bottom