Taking the plunge on BioCube 14 build adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1Vampiregirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,
After weeks of doubts and considerations, I decided to start a nano reef. So I got this nice little cube waiting, pages of notes, laptop and iPhone always on AA. The ro/di unit should be here any day now and I'll be ready to start.

My plan is to add about 14-20lbs of live rock and pink Fiji or black Hawaiian live sand. Seeing it in store would definitely help me choose!

I'm not sure about livestock as I change my mind all the time lol! I know I want a clown who will hopefully agree to host a coral. But I'm open to suggestions. Do you guys think I can fit 3 fish in this tank? A clown for swimming around, a goby for the sand and a little blenny who likes hanging out in live rock?

Now, I do have a couple of questions.
1. Anybody has any experience with "nano rock package" from liveaquaria.com?
2. Do I need an additional PH in the cube or is the stock pump sufficient for good water movement?

Many thanks for reading and sharing this hobby with me! ;)

Attachments

• image-3606768898.jpg
    image-3606768898.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 347
  • image-1768421706.jpg
    image-1768421706.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 367
Okay, that's gonna be my next trip or online order.
Went to a couple of fish stores. They had the sand and I know now I like either pink or white sand. Hawaiian black was too coarse. I found Caribbean live rock for $4.99/lb. Is that a good price? Seems like it is.
And... (a pause for a more dramatic effect) I asked about that little guy Flaming prawn goby, naturally they didn't have him but said they could get one for me! Yay!

4.99 is a good price for lr. I pay $6 or so around me. You only need a small amount anyways if you buy base rock too. It, the live rock will spread to your base rock.

I went with a bahama pink aragnotie sand. Looked good in the fish stores tank so why not? lol

Oh boy, that's a lot of rock. Definitely I will order most of it online and hand pick just a few nice pieces at the store.

Ooohh exciting, i LOVE build threads : ) I think you can definitely do three if one is going to be the flame goby, those are small and wouldn't have much of a bioload (that is if you keep up with weekly water changes). I don't think a blenny would do good in that tank though, most of them get to like 5inches. Let me know if you find one that stays smaller though. Here are a few fish that would fit your tank size and they all look like the rock grazing type.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Hector's Goby

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Court Jester Goby
Reef compatible with caution for this guy though, the rest say they are reef compatible but I'd still do some further research.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Swales Swissguard Basslet

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Swissguard Basslet

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse, Wetmorella tanakai

Or even a firefish might do great in that tank, some people recommend larger tanks for them though I think, like 30 gallons or so.

Hi Kelsey,:flowers:

Thanks for the input. I do like Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse a lot and was considering him too. Gobies and blennies seem to have so much personality... And the blenny I was thinking about is a Tail Spot Blenny: Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Tail Spot Blenny
According to Liveaquaria.com, they only grow to 2.5" and min tank requirement is 10 gallons. So I thought I could pull it off.
I am quite OCD about my tanks' maintenance. :)

Before I saw the Flaming goby, I was planning on the Two Spot Signal goby who stays small too. Now I'm wondering if the two would fight if I put them together. I've read that both are peaceful and can even share a burrow! But I'm not sure if that's true, sorta doubt it. :confused: In any case if I have to choose, I have to choose. I want my fish to be safe and happy.

Oh yah i do remember looking at the tail spot blenny, they are really pretty! I might think of replacing my tribal blenny with this little guy, i think my tribal blenny looks too big for even my 28 gallon lol. Of course i would just be moving the tribal to the bigger tank of ours, i get quite attached to my fish, probably couldn't just return him.

I had a two spot goby once and from what i remember researching they don't do well if separated from their mate. If you get one that is young and has not yet found a mate then it should be fine (but still a harder to care for goby) but if it is an older one that has been separated they pretty much become depressed. Mine only lived a few weeks, i think their lifespan was only like three years even with a pair.

Oh and that tanaka pigmy wrasse is really awesome, probably one of my favorites on that list. Would really bring a bright splash of color into your tank.

Oh yah i do remember looking at the tail spot blenny, they are really pretty! I might think of replacing my tribal blenny with this little guy, i think my tribal blenny looks too big for even my 28 gallon lol. Of course i would just be moving the tribal to the bigger tank of ours, i get quite attached to my fish, probably couldn't just return him.
I hear ya. I only returned two fish: a danio who was very sad and terrified of the tank's bully and I couldn't separate him from the rest; and once I bought an adorable tiny yellow with black lines fish, he turned out to be a Blackmouth Bicolor Chromis, became black and terrorized everybody in my tank. It took me a whole day to catch the monster.

I had a two spot goby once and from what i remember researching they don't do well if separated from their mate. If you get one that is young and has not yet found a mate then it should be fine (but still a harder to care for goby) but if it is an older one that has been separated they pretty much become depressed. Mine only lived a few weeks, i think their lifespan was only like three years even with a pair.
Oh, thanks for letting me know. I haven't read that anywhere about the goby. I'll have to think twice before buying one then.

Get base rock from Bulkreefsupply they have different kinds and it's extremely easy to aquascape with I got 7 pounds that came today for my 10 gallon but it seems like a little so I'll be getting another 5-7 pounds.

Update!
I got the ro/di unit yesterday! Haven't set it up yet.
Also I ordered Fiji pink sand and Salifert tests from Dr. Foster and Smith aquatics, oh and Tropic Marin salt mix.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to mix the salt and fill up the tank. For water changes later on it's easy, it's just a couple of gallons. But the initial set up is what has me baffled.

First of all, when I hook up the ro/di, I need a container for all that water, right? Do I have to get a plastic tub and get 10 or whatever gallons of clean water in there, then mix in the salt, keep it overnight and after that start filling the tank?

Or, option two, can I just fill the tank and mix the salt there?

But then, I will fill the tank when I have my sand and the rocks and they shouldn't be in fresh water, should they?

Confused. Please, help. ;)

Oh and here's the thing.

Attachments

• image-3530938053.jpg
    image-3530938053.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 255
I fill 5g jugs from my ro unit. Then I pour from the jugs into pails and mix my sw. make sure you let it run through several gallons as it takes time for it to filter properly. I let 10 gallons go by before I used it.

Okay, thanks. I'll let it run.
Looks like I have a trip to make to get a couple of those containers.:)

Since you don't have a huge sw tank you could prob get by with 2 5g jugs and I'd say 3 buckets. I use the painters buckets from home depot that have the gallons marked on them. I drain exactly how much i want then I know exactly how much to mix in the other bucket. :)

I try to keep my outgoing water buckets separate from my mixing buckets, I'm a tad anal retentive LOL. But I gotta be doing something right I have almost no nitrates in the 55g.

Also, reefcleaners is having a rock sale, 50lbs for 85$ or 2.20 a lb. with free shipping over 30lbs. You can request exactly the sizze rock you want too. I told them 3 different requirements and they filled them all witha 50lb box.

Can't wait for some more pictures! Do you have your sand yet or is it in? Or are you waiting for the ro/.di to start things up?

edit*** Forgot you were in Florida, I believe you get free shipping from reefcleaners, they are in florida too.

kms907 said:
Any updates/pictures here??

Not yet. I have sand and salt and I ordered an adapter for the stupid ro/di that doesn't want to fit on my faucet. :(

On the other hand, it gives me time to carefully consider livestock. I was ready to spend $$ on a Flaming prawn goby. Such a gorgeous fish! But I'm having second thoughts now after reading that most of the time it's nearly impossible to spot it once it's in the tank what with all the hiding. Ahhh, but he is sooo beautiful!!!

haha yah 14 gallon is kind of an odd size, you can't get the larger minimum 30 gallon sized fish but the smaller 10 gallon ones seem too small.

The tail spot blenny still seems perfect for the tank though. Actually looking on liveaquaria I see you still have quite a few options. Yay!

Back
Top Bottom