Tank Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tlkng1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Good morning all :)

I set up my 14g Biocube on Thursday afternoon (19 May) using 7 gallons of LFS prepared "fresh" saltwater, 4 gallons or so of the same LFS' "in-use" water and about 8 pounds of live sand and then ran the system for 24 hours. On Friday, 20 May, I added the live rock. Now, this particualr live rock is a direct ship from the "harvester" to the store. Given my distance from the LFS, a whole block away, the rock basically went from the ocean to my tank in under 6 hours with only 3 hours of that in actual transit (wrapped in wet towels).

Now, the question :)

Can anyone hazard a guess as to how long the cycling may take and if there may even be any die-off? I tested this morning and all parameters were clear but it has only been about 48 hours and probably too soon for any readable levels. The tube worms, little feather dusters, 2 clams (ye old eating type clam species) and what I think are two small anemones are extremely active. No other critters have made themselves known..at least not to daylight.

Well my new tank has just gone 9 days without a hint of ammonia or no2. It's also showing nitrates so it's not impossible.

Back
Top Bottom