Tank Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The corals are still acclimating to the tank. I will post pictures once they are opening fully. The jawfish didn't make it through shipping. : (

I hope you ordered somewhere that you can send it back and get your money. Where did you order it from? Because it may be nice and sunny and warm there but places like up here its freaken freezing! lol. So shipping from the northern states they pack them with heat packs but I'm sure you already know all this.

I ordered it from liveaquaria.com and they did refund my money for the fish and the shipping since it arived dead. They have always been very good about taking care of any issues i have had with thier live stock. The did pack him in a styrofoam box and he had a heat pack. I'm actually wondering if he maybe got to hot in there. Not sure. Kinda sucks though he was a nice looking fish and i always hate to have them die.

My local fish store actually just got a few of the same fish in so i'm going to wait a couple days and make sure they are healthy and i think i will pick one up from there.

There you go. Yeah, liveaquaria.com is amazing. Sometimes that happens and I'm happy you were wise enough to pick a good online ordering service to begin with. For cheap supplies as well make sure to check out bigalsonline.com but I was in Tamarac a month ago visiting family and there is a Big Al's Store there which is amazing.

he was a nice looking fish and i always hate to have them die.

It`s best not to order fish and corals online during the winter. Yes many places do but a lot of fish die during winter shipping because of the cold.JMO

Ok well i put two new coral frags in a little while back and now that they are adjusted to the take i took some pictures. One is a lemon tree coral and the other is a duncan polyp.
img_849401_0_0d8ca3f41b604a2712c805749e433206.jpg
img_849401_1_e145fdf408fb430b814b7d6684101f0e.jpg
img_849401_2_b67b7ce085557e371d3acd66fb0fa42d.jpg

On the tree coral i had a question. The body of the coral (the yellow part) is almost transparent and looks kinda hollow inside. Is it supposed to be that way? I know you can beach corals if your light is two strong or something. and beaching is when you kill all the symbiotic algae inside it right? Is that whats going on or does it look ok? I have about 4 w/gal in the tank.

Eventually when i know the coral is stable and healthy i will trim down that giant block its on so its not so ugly.

oh yeah. i also got a yellowhead jawfish from the LFS today but he is still hiding. When he finds a home and starts coming out i will try to get some pictures of him too.

Wow, your pulsing xenia looks amazing. I'm not sure on the tree coral so hopefully someone under me will give you the answer. Can't wait to see a picture of your yellowhead

Thanks. A LFS by me has the stuff growing like weeds. They have an entire tank full of xenia and they sell it for like 10 or 15 buck a head. I just like watching it pulse. so mesmerizing.

They have like 8 tanks overrun with xenia, its almost to the plauge status :lol:
Can't wait to see the jawfish, has he used and of the rubble we got him?

Not as of last night. he was still kinda freaked out from being put in the new tank. He found him self a cave in the live rock and hid there most of the day. I'll check on him again when i get home and see if he has decided to come out and play yet.

He is still being shy but he pops out every once and a while and i managed to get a decent picture of him. I'll post better ones down the road when he has really settled in.
img_849704_0_bc186c4e2038c4e71b628b7138ea73d0.jpg

Picture doesn't do this fish justice. the pearly shine that is almost blueish doesn't come through in the pictures and its really neat looking.

Yup it sure is. That is a really good picture. I just have a standard point and shoot camera and it doesn't have a macro setting on it so its hard to get good pictures with out them coming out blurry. Is that one yours?

Yup it sure is. That is a really good picture. I just have a standard point and shoot camera and it doesn't have a macro setting on it so its hard to get good pictures with out them coming out blurry. Is that one yours?
I have a simple point and shoot as well ;) (though I want to upgrade) I just have had a TON of practice with it :)
no it is not my fish (unfortunately) though I wish it were

Yeah I've never had much of a steady hand for photography if i set up some books or something to set it on then i can get some decent pics. If i could get mine to look half as good as that i would be thrilled.

Yeah I've never had much of a steady hand for photography if i set up some books or something to set it on then i can get some decent pics. If i could get mine to look half as good as that i would be thrilled.
:D thanks that means a lot!
I just use flash, thats why its not blurry :)
I use a simply Cannon A530 for all its woth :cool:

Unfortunately there will be no more pictures coming of the new jawfish. This morning i found him flopping around on the bottom of the tank and then go limp. Poor little guy died as i was watching him. I noticed that one of my snail had gotten stuck between the rock and the glass and died as well. It was a really big snail almost the size of a golf ball and since he was against the glass no clean up crew could get to him and clean things up. Not sure how long he was in there decaying before i noticed. My nitrates were up when i checked this morning (looked to be about 25-30ppm) and ammonia may have been up to like 0.1 maybe (hard to tell because the next color on the chart is .25 so i have to guess). I did a large (probably 40 or 45%) water change for the sake of my other fish and corals but the jawfish was already dead by the time i had my bucket and siphon out. I noticed that his tail was quite chewed up. In the picture above he has a little piece missing but it was considerably more torn apart when i pulled him out this morning. My larger clown fish picked on him a little when i first put him in but i hadn't seem him bothering the jawfish after that so I'm not sure what happened. I don't know what killed the little guy. Probably a combination of stress from being put in the new tank not perfect water parameters and someone must have been bothering him. This sucks.... lost one in shipping and now i lost a second in my tank. Apparently a jawfish is just not meant for my tank. I guess i will just stick to coral and leave it at the two clown fish. Three may have been pushing the limits on space or boiload of my tank anyway. A sad day... me and the clowns will morn his loss.

dude that sucks! sorry man! At least the lemon tree perked up thou eh? was that elephant that got stuck and died? :(

Awwww, poor jawfish. I'm guessing you may have to just do the two clownfish. If anything maybe you could one day push for a yellow watchman goby or some other type of goby.

Back
Top Bottom