tank to HOT!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsdryder7

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok i have a 28 jbj hqi and i didnt keep my air on today and when i got home my temp was 84.9

now i heard that u need a chiller but i dont have a couple hundred to spend right now ....

does anyone have any ideas on how to cool it with out spending a lot of money....

it seems like everyone this week is having problems with heating..the number one source for high temps is your lighting..do you use pot lights or aquaticlife lighting?? i would suggest decrease the time your lights are on until you can buy a chiller

you can also try putting some frozen water bottles (lid very lightly screwed on) in your sump to help lower the temp...start with 1 bottle and increase if needed...this is only a temporary fix

another person had their pump running too hot which caused the heat to increase...make sure nothing is running too hot

i hope this helps

You could use a small fan to cool it down by the lights, the down side is more evap so have some ro water handie

lol i have a a 8 inch camping light/fan u put by your face or head and propped it up to blow in to the back and it dropped to 82.....

i just noticed my emerald crab died but the two snails are still alive my water was perfect except i had 0-.25 amonia ....do you think it was the heat ???

when i put him in it was 81.7 so is that big of a temp change that crytical

I thinks its more of a quick change that hurts them the most and even then 84 is a bit hot. With hqi temp is always a factor.

You will surely need a chiller if you don't keep the front and back open. A small fan made by zoo med at petco will do wonders thought. Also... I change my return pump to a maxi1200 and it cooled it down 2 degrees from my factory pump. Just a thought.

That's cool I didn't know the. New power. Heads would lower the temp...thanksive kept my temp at. 81.6 at the highest point and 79.5 at the lowest and that's with the camping fan. Haha.. So we will. See if I need the chiller

I live in Houston Texas. It's been over a hundred here for 2 weeks and with my little desktop fan and new return pump it stays at 76.6

I highly recommend you purchase a controller such as the reef keeper lite by digital aquatics and also a tank mounted fan. It will save you so much time and worry.

I highly recommend you purchase a controller such as the reef keeper lite by digital aquatics and also a tank mounted fan. It will save you so much time and worry.
well i received my azoo fan and purchased a 100 watt heater so lets see how my temp stays from here on out .......ohh ya i forgot to mention my ac went out today lol i already called my land lord and said he has to get it fixed tomorrow ......

also i did what u said and got the salinity down to 1.026 tomorrow i will get down to 1.024/25 ... i didnt want to do to much to fast and the fish are looking a little better .....

that controller u posted was cool looking but i think im saving my big purchase for a chiller or mp10 ......prob a chiller if i find one for a good price on craigs list

Back
Top Bottom