Tetras Stay Clean System...Safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all, while my cleaning crew keeps my reef pretty clean sand and rock wise, i had a thin layer growing on the glass that my snails were apparently not fully able to tackle. So today i picked up a "tetra cleaning system" at the wal-mart. It's that pole thing you put wipes on the end and stick the wipes on and then use "One wipe per ten gallons, or cut one wipe in half for five", and they say useing them can delay alage growth up to a month. Blah, blah. Thinking it was a rather powerful solution i got one, took it by the one LFS i trust and asked if it was safe to use in salt. He said ok. So i took his word and used it. The material says not to squeeze it in the tank and warns "very minor citic acid in wipes." I used one to wipe the front of my tank and it did very well. The tank is a 10 gallon nano: stock 2 red hermits, 1 blue, fighting conch, several dusters, 1 mushroom coral, 2 damsels and 1 cherub angel. I'am now in the process of my weekly water change, but i noticed swears of what you'd think you'd see with windex on glass on the glass, and google resulted in some horror stories from FW tanks. I tested water and it all comes out fine, same as when i tested on monday, and nothing's fallen over and died, and life is counting as normal in the reef. But would anyone advise against useing this product?

I have no personal experience with this product, but it seems like a gimic to me. I would be very leary of putting any chemicals into my tank, even if the manufacture says it is safe. It is very common to see the green/brown dust-like algae on the glass. I simply use the Kent Marine scapper with the sponge attachment on it to clean the inside of my glass. IMHO, it is much better then using any chemical product.

I agree with Lando...safe or not, you can accomlish the same thing by using an algae scraper. I use windex on the outside of my glass, just spray away from the tank. Just my opinion as well. :)

Back
Top Bottom