Thanks for your help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weedy6969007

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new at this so any help will be greatly appreciated. These questions are probably real easy for you experts.

1. Do I need to use a protein skimmer while cycling my lr and ls?

2. When the ammonia spikes in the start of the first cycle what kind of reading are we talking about before it starts to drop?

3. Does the product Instant Ocean contain calcium?

4. I put my live rock (30lbs.) in the 28 gal. JBJ nano, then added live sand, and then filled aquarium with water that was 78 degrees, ro/di, throughly mixed salt with the proper hydro meter reading. IS there anything else i should do besides wait for the ammonia spike or have I done anything wrong?

If these questions are stupid I apologize. I have had fresh water for a long time and wanted something new. I have done a lot of reading before i bought the nano, but these questions came to me after i set it up 3 nights ago. Any help on the 4 question would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

1. No. In fact, I dislike protein skimmers in anything under 40g (depending on what you plan to keep).
2. Within 2wks time you will see a spike of around 5mg/l and a gradual decline as bacterias populate.
3. All marine salts contain calcium.
4. Sounds good, but I prefer a refractometer.

I agree with James. Definitely get a refractometer, you will really be surprised at the difference in SG readings....plus they are easier to use/read.

Sounds like the guys have covered things rather well without me. Just wanted to echo what has been said. The refractometer is a much better tool for measuring your SG.

Oh and Welcome to AA!

Back
Top Bottom