The Guide to Nano Noobs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macscale

Aquarium Advice Addict
Nano tanks have become quite a buzz lately, and lots of people want one. Some say they aren't for beginners, but that is debatable. This forum is a place for you to ask and answer, and hopefully you will learn from the original post. Go ahead, Give it a try, don't listen to those who say you can't.

That's where this guide comes in, here you will learn how to set up your own nano.

A Nano aquarium must meet the following criteria
1. Less then or equal to 37 Gallons or 140 Liters
2. Be a saltwater aquarium
3. More then 4 Gallons, or else it's considers a Picotope

First. Make sure to do plenty of research.

Second: Select Your Tank.
A Coralife Biocube 14 or 29 are great ways to start. They come with everything you need to start.

Every Saltwater tank need the following:
Good Filter
Sand
Live Rock
Heater
Lighting
Refractometer
Test Kits
Aquarium Salt/ Pre made water
Power heads

Now to explaining each item

Filter- You can either make a sump or just use your HOB filter. What filter do you have on the aquarium?

Sand- LIVE sand is ALWAYS better! You can get normal sand but it isn't as good. Get 20 pounds of this.

Live Rock- Normally you get 1-2 pounds per gallon. Meaning you need 20-30 pounds of it. This will provide places to set coral and hiding places for fish and your CUC. IMO don't buy LIVE rock online, because you don't know what you are gonna get.

Heater- 100 watt heater will do good.

Lighting- This will be the single most EXPENSIVE and IMPORTANT you will buy.
You have two options for lights
LED and
T5
LED is the new way to light up the tank. They are A LOT more expensive but in the long run will save you a ton! A good LED fixture cost 180-500 for a 20 gallon tank.
PERSONALLY, I like T5 better.
T5 have been used forever and they don't cost as much upfront. Though you will have to replace the bulbs every 9 months.
Do you want to grow corals? If so, you will need a 4 bulb fixture or 6 bulb fixture depending on whether you want to grow SPS, LPS, softies?
This fixture would be great for your tank. Just ordered mine and user recommended it to me!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-144-6x24-...914009?afsrc=1

For help with bulbs go here:
Reef Aquarium Lighting - Welcome

Refractometer: This will tell the salinity of your tank. NEVER get a swing arm hydrometer! THEY DON"T WORK! TRUST ME!!!!!!! Here is the refractometer I got and it works great:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Salinity-Ref...item4ab33c430d

It got to my house fast and early.

Test Kits: Get test kits for: Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH etc.

Aquarium Salt: You have two options. Get Instant Ocean salt mix or buy water from your LFS. The Instant Ocean will require you buying RO/DI water.

Power heads- These will provide the flow you need and circulate the water.

Now some people recommend getting a protein skimmer but if you are good with water changes then don't worry about it. You can always add one if you need one.

Just in case you don't know anything about cycling:
http://www.saltwateraquarium.com/cyc...water-aquarium

If you have any other questions just ask! The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Have any advice for the Nano Noobs? Just chime in and let them know.

Let's give them a warm welcome to the Salty Side.

You can also use metal halides or power compacts. Power compacts will really limit what you can grow but a noob will start with softies anyway. Also there are tons of salt mixes not just instant ocean. I can't remember if you mentioned ro/di water either which is crucial. Buying base rock online is grea and cheap. Bulkreefsupply has great rock.

What about a reef radiance nano 60 for my jbj 28g would the 60w leds have the right light for a rbta?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree with most of what your saying, although lighting as much as I wanted to take the dive and buy a full spectrum led dimmable light my budget wouldn't allow it. So I went with 50/50 bulbs that screwed into my ten gallon hood. My corals are thriving, ny tanks doing great! Nano lagoon series on YouTube is a great starter point for anyone wanting to start a saltwater tank. I followed it step by step and with the advice from my lfs and crazy amounts of water tests my tank has been fantastic. Like macscale says though, do your research! Last but not least all ro/di water.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh, I forgot pics! The best part haha. The bigger you can go the better, I'm already upgrading to a 20 gallon long cause my tank is to small. Ps, I've only been at saltwater for about 8 months now

Attachments

• 1393299537520.jpg
    1393299537520.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 210
  • 1393299558982.jpg
    1393299558982.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 205
  • 1393299572847.jpg
    1393299572847.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 202
  • 1393299590418.jpg
    1393299590418.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 203
It is 22.5 x 25.5 x 26 inches

Turned out to be a pretty good light

Attachments

• 1393395398165.jpg
    1393395398165.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 149
I have joined this site, but I can't start a new thread. And, also I keep having problems logging in. Any ideas would help. My Coralife BioCube 29g. tank is about 5 weeks, cycled, LR, LS, 0 ammonia, and 0 nitrites. Thanks

Logging in problems

Thank you for replying to my help needed. I think I am able to log in, now. Not sure what the deal was. I am looking forward to using Aquarium Advice
How do you start a new thread for a new build?
Candace Wiee

Last edited:
If you are using the app simply press the ... Button in the top left of the appropriate section. If you are using the site, press the "new topic" button in the appropriate section.

Just got done transferring my 10 gallon nano into a 20 gallon long! Very pleased about the build but wish I would've painted the back of the 20 blue but oh well

Attachments

• 1393711731173.jpg
    1393711731173.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 139
Considering the salty side, so I will be following along. Maybe a Fluval Edge or use my JEBO 35+2G filter capacity (37G total, needs a new light). So does that still qualify as a 35?

Considering the salty side, so I will be following along. Maybe a Fluval Edge or use my JEBO 35+2G filter capacity (37G total, needs a new light). So does that still qualify as a 35?

Yeah. Normally you don't count the sump/filter as part of the DT. Anyway there isn't much to follow along on this thread though. Just a guide for simple questions.

Simple is good.

A lfs is setting up a new section for SW and I know they will be having some deals soon when they are done cycling. Is it possible to get seeded media from the lfs, he should do this for me, good or bad idea?

How do I know the live rock and live sand are really "live"? I know enough that they are in sw...but after that part, lol?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom