thought id share.. Boocube 14 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rancidpetals said:
I had a pincushion urchin and I just had to take it back to the LFS today, because it was eating the coralline algae off my rocks.

Is that a problem other than asthetics??

Biocube14 said:
Is that a problem other than asthetics??

No but they can scratch your glass, and even take bolts out of frag racks.

from, Adam

Well that's a plus. I'd like them. I think coraline algae is overrated anyways

from, Adam

From what I've heard they are funny and cool to watch. I would like to get a black urchin with the orange eye/ mouth/ whatever it is. They look so cool.

from, Adam

I have never had an urchin die or heard of them being hard to care for. I find them very easy, though they do grow very fast. I kept getting small ones for my nano and moving them to our larger aquarium when they got too big and now i cant get anymore :p We have a long spine black urchin, a red urchin, and two pin cushion urchins. They are all happily living in our larger tank now haha. Oh and an urchin can wreck tanks but only acrylic ones, they wont harm glass. The tank is looking very good by the way!!

Yeah I was wondering how an urchin would scratch glass.. He is fun to watch.. He has picked up about 7 of my zoas and keeps them on his back... They stay opened the whole time..
Everytime I show pics of my tank people don't beleive it's only 14 gal.

Biocube14 said:
Started with live sand. 5 lbs live rock. Premixed water from lfs. Perc clown all the same day.. Been up and running for a month now. First saltwater tank attempted. Check out the pics. Comment and questions welcome:)

I wouldn't ever listen to that lfs ever. Again. That was terrible of the store to even allow the selling of the fish the same day/time as the other supplies. Hope all your like stock make it and though u learn the
Hard way u now know for next time! Maybe do some reading. Before addingg anymore coral or fish. Maybe over stocking. As you don't have a fully cycled tank not having enough nitrifying bacteria to break down the uneaten food, fish waste, ETC ....

Goin on month 5. Everything survived.. So this goes to show you, you do t have to go by the book if you do it right. ;)

Attachments

• image-2699582482.jpg
    image-2699582482.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 191
I wouldn't ever listen to that lfs ever. Again. That was terrible of the store to even allow the selling of the fish the same day/time as the other supplies. Hope all your like stock make it and though u learn the
Hard way u now know for next time! Maybe do some reading. Before addingg anymore coral or fish. Maybe over stocking. As you don't have a fully cycled tank not having enough nitrifying bacteria to break down the uneaten food, fish waste, ETC ....

Absolutely correct, just because your livestock made it doesn't mean you didn't significantly effect their longevity thanks to ammonia poisoning. It is almost impossible to set up a tank with no cycle. Clown fish are related to damsels, they are tough, and will survive most of the spikes. That doesn't make it right, cycling with fish is both cruel and inefficient.

I like that brown/green long tentacle. Makes me want to go out and purchase one now. Is that an anemone in the middle at the bottom (left of the frogspawn)?

Yeah it was a condylactis anenome. I got rid of it though, it moved around the tank too much. I found it in the first chamber of the three filter compartments. So I got rid of it before it killed itself. Not sure what green/brown long tentacle anenome your talking about. Maybe you refrencing a the torch on the left side of the tank.?

Back
Top Bottom