thoughts on nano skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
as usual I've been researching protein skimmers for nano tanks and I'm getting a 50/50 split in regards to using a protein skimmer.

My plans are not to put any fish in the tank only clams and corals. PWC's aren't a problem....what's another few gallons to mix up. I do pwc's on my other tanks once a week which is when I'll do my water change in the nano (other than top offs).

To protein skim or not to protein skim...that is the question :p

From what I understand, the small "nano" skimmers don't work very well at all. So I'd think just do PWC's and you'll be fine.

On one of the other 'saltwater' message boards they talk about this skimmer from Tunze as being a good solution for smaller aquariums. I don't own it or have experience with it - I have just read a lot of positive things about the unit.

Tunze Nano DOC Protein Skimmer 9002

I have a high bio load in my 10 gallon nano , I currently run a aqua "C" nano on mine.. ( Welcome to AquaC, Inc. ) It is worthless , it does not produce any skimmate on my tank I have had it nearly a year with no more than 2 cups produced ,now you may ask why I continue to run it this is 2 fold 1: it adds flow and 2: it is there if something should happen to me that I could not maintain the tank. In my system I have 3 fish 2 clowns and a watchman goby .... along with various inverts and corals , I do a weekly 3 gallon water change with 1x a month hitting 4 or 5 gallons to change out .. I just think I keep up with it so much so that there is nothing to "skim" out ...others have suggested modding it with either an air stone or a higher GPH power head ... I have done neither as of yet ;) if you have no fish in it I would say it is not worth it as you will have micro bubbles that could irritate the clams or even kill them ... just keep with the weekly H20 changes and a large filter with plenty of CAG and floss (for chemical warfare ) and you should be fine

I have an Azoo mignon skimmer and I find that it doesn't to a lot of skimming. It is difficult to figure out, the instructions aren't in English and the diagrams don't really explain anything. I am glad I had a friend that use to have SW and is back in the hobby thanks to me.

IMO you really dont need a skimmer with a nano. Frequent PWC`s will do the same thing in a smaller tank.

IMO you really dont need a skimmer with a nano. Frequent PWC`s will do the same thing in a smaller tank.

Mike - could you share your thoughts on what would be an ideal and sufficient filtration system for smaller tanks (less than 40-gallon) whether it be set up as FOLWER or reef?

I am not mel but on our nanos I run the penguins ( I am using the 150s on mine due to size but ran the 350 on the 10 gallon it took up the whole back but since I have the skimmer I needed a bit smaller ones , they are rated for I believe a 30 gallon tank ) on mine along with sufficent power heads to suspend the gunk ... If you get one of the 350's or so it would work well for any salt water keep in mind tho you should remove all the water in the reservoirs weekly with your water changes along with changing out the pads weekly ... as they only really last about a week anyways ...:)

I know, it's the shipping for some livestock off of liveaquaria. Ive been wanting to get a peppermint shrimp and 2 firefish from them but only holding off because of the shipping...I think it is time!

Mike - could you share your thoughts on what would be an ideal and sufficient filtration system for smaller tanks (less than 40-gallon) whether it be set up as FOLWER or reef?

I thought Sadie gave some good ideas. I`ve used the penguins also. IMO in your smaller tanks LR and frequent PWC`s will work fine. When I had my 29 I used LR, PWC`s and a penguin that Sadie was talking about.

Ok, so the skimmer doesn't seem like a required item. So if I understand right...in addition to the lr rubble in the back of the tank (in the filter area of the nano) I should also the penguin too?

So therefore, my having a BioCube with nowhere to put the penguin, should I just do my usual PWCs and be done with it rather than wasting my $35 on a skimmer that may not even work well (so I hear from reviews)?

Keep your monies from the skimmer and invest in upgraded PH's and some good rubble that is already cycled , now you have some left over I am sure invest that into a box of salt :D and also look into a RO/DI unit as well :D

Keep your monies from the skimmer and invest in upgraded PH's and some good rubble that is already cycled , now you have some left over I am sure invest that into a box of salt :D and also look into a RO/DI unit as well :D

Thanks Sadielynn, I might go with a PH, but definitely am considering the RO/DI unit.

I can't tell you how much having an ro/di unit has helped me....no more cyano breakouts....water quality is so much better.

Back
Top Bottom