Too much flow...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just a general question. What constitutes too much flow? We can use my tank for example. I have the stick out take which is being upgraded and the koralia 425. I've read soooooooo many different opinions, so is there a set rule? Like by the book kinda deal? What constitutes too much?

I've seen hundreds of YouTube videos and pictures from at least 20 forums with bio cubes and 20 gallon tanks using 2 power heads, one lesser then the other. One guy was saying the perfect setup was a koralia 425 and a 240 along with the stock. Others have said only one PH is needed. I wanna hear from this forums members what they think. The more I read and research the more I find different things!!

It's very frustrating for someone who is just starting out when I can't get a straight answer. My LFS guy said it best I guess. There are no right or wrong "answers" There's just load of opinions.

I think a lot has to do with how your tank is laid out. You will want high flow and low flow areas for the different needs of the corals and fish. Some fish like tangs need higher flow than most fish. I have 2 koralia 425 in both my 28 and my 24 gallon. I actually feel I may need more flow in my 24 because of the amount I have t blow off the rocks and things in that tank it is also a sps dominate, and my 28 is lps dominate.

joy13 said:
I think a lot has to do with how your tank is laid out. You will want high flow and low flow areas for the different needs of the corals and fish. Some fish like tangs need higher flow than most fish. I have 2 koralia 425 in both my 28 and my 24 gallon. I actually feel I may need more flow in my 24 because of the amount I have t blow off the rocks and things in that tank it is also a sps dominate, and my 28 is lps dominate.

Really wow! I just have a stock out take and 425 I've been going back and forth with getting the 240.

View attachment 71620

View attachment 71621

View attachment 71622

View attachment 71623

Here's a view of all sides. Was thinking of a 240 on left hand side hitting the rocks.

Last edited:
I have 2 800gph powerheads in my 40 gallon plus the return pump from my sump. It depends on what's going in the tank. I'm going for Sps corals mainly.

slitherbomb said:
I have 2 800gph powerheads in my 40 gallon plus the return pump from my sump. It depends on what's going in the tank. I'm going for Sps corals mainly.

Well I have the BC 29 and I'm starting out very very basic. Gonna do simple corals, easy ones to maintain due to lighting and so far I have a nice CUC crew lined up and 2 clown fish I want with a scooter blenny, sand sifter and a center piece fish. So not sure about this flow thing. I even have books and 2 contradict themselves.

Dino, a MaxiJet 1200 return pump & the 425 will be fine for everything but the most needy SPS corals(which you can't keep anyways due to lighting and tank age) I've got spots where my flow would make a tang happy & areas where my clown goes to sleep in the peaceful slow moving water. In general its a cube so your flow is going to be pretty consistent throughout the outside of your rock and will be lower in the hiding caves.

NyteGTI said:
Dino, a MaxiJet 1200 return pump & the 425 will be fine for everything but the most needy SPS corals(which you can't keep anyways due to lighting and tank age) I've got spots where my flow would make a tang happy & areas where my clown goes to sleep in the peaceful slow moving water. In general its a cube so your flow is going to be pretty consistent throughout the outside of your rock and will be lower in the hiding caves.

Ok cool! Thanks bro! Maxi jet 1200 should be here today along with a few other inTank goodies!! :)

BTW... Your fault! You linked me the site :)

HAHHAHA man I pretty much bought ever single thing listed under the nanocube so I understand. I've got my PC-R bulbs coming in today along with calibrating solution for my refrac and some spare purigen & chemipure elite.

Make sure you see the scooter eat before you buy it. Some of them behave like a mandarin and won't eat anything but live.

NyteGTI said:
HAHHAHA man I pretty much bought ever single thing listed under the nanocube so I understand. I've got my PC-R bulbs coming in today along with calibrating solution for my refrac and some spare purigen & chemipure elite.

Take pictures and let me know how you like the lights. I was looking at them too! Haha I ordered up a bunch of stuff too!! lol.

mr_X said:
Make sure you see the scooter eat before you buy it. Some of them behave like a mandarin and won't eat anything but live.

Thanks for the heads up mr X. So I should ask the LFS guy to feed it in front of me before purchase then? Thanks a bunch!!

Back
Top Bottom