Too much water flow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Friction

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a 1200lph powerhead for a 70l reef tank to go in the HOB refugium/sump. Is this too much flow for filtration as I am now reading that flow for filtration should be 4-5 times tank size and flow for circulation should be 10-20 times tank size. Is this right, do I need to down size my powerhead?

Thanks,
Sean

Depends on what type of corals you want. I run my tank at about 50 x turnover per hour. For a mixed reef you want about 20-30 x turnover

Hi there
In my opinion I would say you're flowrate 4 to 5 for your filtration is right but for your circulation I think it's more like between 20 to 30 times your tank volume, which is between 1400-2100lph I personally would go for the 2100lph The extra flow will help towards keeping your rocks clean.

Thank you mr tap water, I'll get a smaller pump for filter. My in tank powerhead is 4000lph so I think I'm good there. I guess that since I plan on having my skimmer in HOB I will get a pump that is the same lph as skimmer.
Does that make sense?

Back
Top Bottom