Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Nano Reefs
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Too small for seahorses?

I am a complete newbie to owning marine life, but my Mom has always wanted seahorses and I recently discovered one place in my city that sells them and supplies for them. So I was thinking getting her a set-up for Christmas would be kind of awesome (but not the actual seahorses as I will make her do some research first). I'm the kind of person who refuses to get a pet before knowing everything about their PROPER care and I dispise pet stores for being so misleading.

So here is what the pet store has told me they have as far as sea horses and sea horse supplies go (sadly, there is NOT a lot of choices or selection):

A "Seahorse Stable" set-up which includes:
-7.8 gallon tank with glass top
-Salt supply
-Filter with media
-Aqua light with bulb
-Heater
-Floating hyrdometer/thermometer
-Crushed coral
-3 Marine steps/reef effects (for maintaing proper tank chemistry)

They only sell the basic large seahorse species (didn't catch the scientific name, but it's the least exotic one, if that helps - they only only come in yellow).

They also sell live and frozen food for them.

But that is all they have as far as their seahorse supplies go. Now 7.8 gallons seems a little small to me, but apparently a lot of people out there keep seahorses in these sizes of tanks with no issues???

There would be 2 sea horses at most, no more. Can they be kept alone or is a bonded pair a must? What about sexes, are same sexes okay? I don't really want breeding.

And no other species kept in this tank (except maybe a snail or two for clean up). I think it also comes with hitching areas too, at least they had some in the tank

Is this honestly too small or is it do-able? The species they sell doesn't get very big (but isn't dwarf either).

Is there anything the tank is missing?

I also read that the water needs to be cycled for 4-6 weeks before adding the seahorses. This seems like a crazy long time... is it neccessary?

Thanks

Old 12-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That time frame is on point for getting a tank cycled...but TBH I wouldn't add a seahorse for even longer than that to make sure everything is stable...and I'm talking months. That and I can't see a 7.8 being big enough for a seahorse.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/a...es.cfm?c=15+40

Old 12-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
I can't see a 7.8 being big enough for a seahorse.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/a...es.cfm?c=15+40
I agree. They need larger tanks. But you can keep dwarf sea horses in there. I'm sure that's what the tank was intended for bur your LFS just happens to sell regular sea horses. I'd say you can add 3-6 sea horses.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

The part about cycling is very true. You want ur water to be near perfect to keep them happy and healthy
Old 12-09-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!

Seahorses are amazing. I still haven't had the time or resources to set a tank up for them, but maybe someday. I wouldn't recommend them as a first experience in SW keeping.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had a seahorse tank once and it was an honest pain. They're finicky eaters at best. So make sure that before you buy one that you can see them eat at your LFS. And usually they only eat live food. So of you want to sustain them and not have to pay an arm and leg for brine once a week you can breed them in a little 5 gallon tank with a airstone in it. Also your water conditions have to be spot on all the time and if your new to sw the bigger your tank is the easier it is to care for.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxStLxx
I had a seahorse tank once and it was an honest pain. They're finicky eaters at best. So make sure that before you buy one that you can see them eat at your LFS. And usually they only eat live food. So of you want to sustain them and not have to pay an arm and leg for brine once a week you can breed them in a little 5 gallon tank with a airstone in it. Also your water conditions have to be spot on all the time and if your new to sw the bigger your tank is the easier it is to care for.
Brine shrimp is fairly cheap at my LFS. Only $1 for a 16oz cup filled with live brine. 3 cups lasts for about a week in my 75g so that's only $12 on live monthly. 1 cup would be enough for more then a week in that tank but maybe their prices are different
Old 12-11-2011, 12:11 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

At my LFS it's 4.99 a oz. so sometimes it's easier just to breed it.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:30 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxStLxx
At my LFS it's 4.99 a oz. so sometimes it's easier just to breed it.
Yeah, I guess I'm just lucky lol.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:36 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread with that side talk. Honestly if I were you and new to SW I'd get a bigger tank and get to learn the hobby before jumping into a more advanced topic like seahorses or file fish

Tags
seahorse, seahorses

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com