Transitioning 10 gallon fw to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been reading around online and I've seen live rock cycling as opposed to a raw shrimp or other means.

How many ways can I cycle the tank, which is the best and which is the easiest?

If I go the raw shrimp route will I have issues adding live rock later?

aqua7 said:
I've been reading around online and I've seen live rock cycling as opposed to a raw shrimp or other means.

How many ways can I cycle the tank, which is the best and which is the easiest?

If I go the raw shrimp route will I have issues adding live rock later?

I cycled mine recently with just live rock. You can also dose with ammonia or chuck a shrimp In there. Whichever way you use will have no effect on what happens later. The only possible problem I can think of is that if you were to add live rock after the cycling it's possible you could start a mini cycle due to some die-off from the critters on the rock.

davePM said:
I cycled mine recently with just live rock. You can also dose with ammonia or chuck a shrimp In there. Whichever way you use will have no effect on what happens later. The only possible problem I can think of is that if you were to add live rock after the cycling it's possible you could start a mini cycle due to some die-off from the critters on the rock.

Ya id add the shrimp and rock at the same time. Also, adding anymore AFTER. The cycle could cause a mini cycle. Be aware of that

I think the shrimp just helps to speed things up. When you use the liverock as your bacteria source, you get die-off from the "critters" in and on the rock, which then has to convert..it is the initial die-off that takes time.

I think someone mentioned it already but if you place liverock AND use the shrimp, put the shrimp in a mesh bag so it doesn't get lost in the tank.

tlkng1 said:
I think the shrimp just helps to speed things up. When you use the liverock as your bacteria source, you get die-off from the "critters" in and on the rock, which then has to convert..it is the initial die-off that takes time.

I think someone mentioned it already but if you place liverock AND use the shrimp, put the shrimp in a mesh bag so it doesn't get lost in the tank.

Yes I'll do that... Place a shrimp in a mesh bag and add live rock at the same time.

Quick question...

Is lava rock saltwater safe?

I currently have one in freshwater

No :). Essentially, any decoration used in freshwater cannot be used in saltwater unless it is plastic or glass. For example, those glass marble looking orbs could be used but the different types of lava rock and driftwood can't. Now, I always wondered why driftwood isn't supposed to be used considering how much of it comes up on the beach from the ocean. Maybe it is just the look of driftwood that marine hobbyists steer away from.

tlkng1 said:
No :). Essentially, any decoration used in freshwater cannot be used in saltwater unless it is plastic or glass. For example, those glass marble looking orbs could be used but the different types of lava rock and driftwood can't. Now, I always wondered why driftwood isn't supposed to be used considering how much of it comes up on the beach from the ocean. Maybe it is just the look of driftwood that marine hobbyists steer away from.

Thank you! I'll keep that in mind :)

Back
Top Bottom