Trying to nano reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFanaticSyd

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I am trying to start a nano reef in my 10 gallon saltwater aquarium. I have a peppermint shrimp, a percula clown, and a few (think six or seven) assorted red leg and blue leg hermit crabs. I have LED lighting that is on 8 hours a day and my nitrites, nitrates, ammonia and pH are all good. But, I am beset by a horrible plague of green hair algae! It started coming in on a live rock from the LFS. I don't really want to put corals in the tank until the algae is gone and the hermit crabs arent much help. In between 8th grading and reading, I am trying to find some natural answers to my algae problem and information on nano reefs. Does anyone have any ideas or experience on getting rid of this stuff? Thanks!

By large water changes do you mean about 20% a week? I already have a pretty high flow going in the tank, and I don't know how much more current I should add. The hermit crabs seem to have trouble climbing to get at the algae in the areas with especially high water flow (the current blows the shells). Also, how much should I reduce lighting to? 2h? Or should I try adding CUC along with reducing lighting/more water changes?

Back
Top Bottom