Turbinaria (Cup Coral)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
What do you guys think of a Turbinaria as my first Stony Coral in a 10G?

I've been looking a various sites about beginner corals and came across this one: best beginner corals | Successful Reef Keeping

I know the LFS has a couple in and I was rather tempted to pick one up not knowing what it was.

Seeing it on that list made me feel a lot better.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What do you have for lighting and flow?

I always recommend Duncan's as a first stony coral. Much more flowy and really cool as a colony. Don't need much light either. Cups are pretty good too but you gotta watch that detritus doesn't settle in the middle of them. I also disagree with montipora being on that list

What do you have for lighting and flow?

MarsAqua 120w Full Spectrum LED Tile.

Koralia 425.

I always recommend Duncan's as a first stony coral. Much more flowy and really cool as a colony. Don't need much light either. Cups are pretty good too but you gotta watch that detritus doesn't settle in the middle of them. I also disagree with montipora being on that list

Might be a stupid question.. But what's the deal with detritus?

Also, does sand count as detritus?

Thought I might add...

Ca and Alk are at 460 and 7/8.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cup corals are...odd. I have one in my tank and have had it there for 2 years, one of the first corals I got for my 55. It hasn't grown. It was damaged by vermethid snails, so there is a large dead spot but there has been no growth. Then once algae gets on it, it will keep receding.

Cup corals are...odd. I have one in my tank and have had it there for 2 years, one of the first corals I got for my 55. It hasn't grown. It was damaged by vermethid snails, so there is a large dead spot but there has been no growth. Then once algae gets on it, it will keep receding.

Hmm.. Sounds like a pain.. Is that why they're so cheap?

Cheap is a relative term defined by commonality, region, and trends. It's a plain coral, so most wouldn't want to pay top dollar for it compared to a reverse superman monti...who's price has been coming down as it has become more and more common.

Back
Top Bottom