Turning 10g fresh into nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grease

Aquarium Advice Freak
My wife doesn't want her 10g fresh anymore so im gonna turn it into a reef. I have a 40g with a skimmer n a sump n everything. I was wondering what exactly I need for the 10g. I'm assuming I don't need the same products I need for my 40g. Any help will be appreciated.

I'm sure someone will call me on this..but this is my 10 gal nano:
105 fluval canister(i dump every other week to keep nitrates down)
Marineland reef led lights
Glass cover
15+ live rock
Coral sand bed
Stock:
Midas blenny
Six line wrasse
Fire shrimp
Corals:
Gsp
Candy apple zoa
Copper zoa
Gorgonian
Xenia w/unknown zoa
Frogspawn
Hollywood stunner frag
Birdnest acro(recovering from bleaching)
This tank has been running for a little over a year and had a remodel 11/2 months ago(removed crushed coral and put in sand)
Change of water every week(1-2 gals at least) also I use chempure elite,clearmax,and purigen in the canister and use a hydor nano water circulation pump (240 gph)..sorry I thought I had a pic..I'll send one asap..I also have a 8 gal too...

image-1883572310.jpg

This is a pic of the 8 gal.. Neither of these tanks have a skimmer or a sump... Water changes keep parameters in range ...

Thanks. So basically just a basic filtration system n a powerhead

Thanks. So basically just a basic filtration system n a powerhead

Yeah Pretty much and don't forget the light. I don't have as much stock as River, but I've got:

Two Surge Protectors with timers, 120 watt Taotronics dimmable LED, HOB 300gph, and two Hydor Koralia Nano 240's, with an E50 Fluval Thermometer rated for up to 15 gallons. I alternate my wavemakers day and night to simulate tidal flow. I run the lights at 9 hours blue and 7 hours white.

On a side note, I'm getting ready to start a 40b any advice for me?

Pisces..watch that e50 heater.. I had mine vertical and it suddenly started to act stupid..not keepin temp.. They prefer horizantal placement..my mom has one in hers and acts fine so far..i switched mine for a cobalt neo therm and love that its so thin!! Fits in filter well of 8 gal perfectly...oh and what size is your tank with 2 hydor heads??

No issues with the heater so far, but I'll check into that one you mentioned for my 40b. I've got a 10g and the nano's alternate at day and night, so I only use one at a time.

Attachments

• April 2nd 2013.jpg
    April 2nd 2013.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 92
Yeah Pretty much and don't forget the light. I don't have as much stock as River, but I've got:

Two Surge Protectors with timers, 120 watt Taotronics dimmable LED, HOB 300gph, and two Hydor Koralia Nano 240's, with an E50 Fluval Thermometer rated for up to 15 gallons. I alternate my wavemakers day and night to simulate tidal flow. I run the lights at 9 hours blue and 7 hours white.

On a side note, I'm getting ready to start a 40b any advice for me?

Make sure u get a good protein skimmer. I have a bubble magus nac3.5 in sump. Works good. Reef octopus has really good ones too. Try to get one at least double what ur tank is

Make sure u get a good protein skimmer. I have a bubble magus nac3.5 in sump. Works good. Reef octopus has really good ones too. Try to get one at least double what ur tank is

I just ordered a Hydor In Tank Skimmer rated for up to 65g. I figure with sand and rock displacment that should be pretty close to double the water volume.

Back
Top Bottom