update on cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clark4feathers

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok lets see, I come home my live rocks are getting brown with a few spots of green. shrimp is decaying...test are mid to high range. calcium is good. Age old question...is tank progressing?:rolleyes:

Yup. Sounds like you are right on track. Don't worry to much about the algae for right now. Every new tank goes through a algae and diatom bloom during the cycle and some time in the first couple of months. Once you are finished cycling your clean up crew should take care of it. Be sure to add your clean up crew a little at a time so you don't put to many in at once and not have enough food for them all.

Now you just wait. :) Wait till those nitrites are zero, then do a large water change so you can suck all the gunk that is likely floating about and also to remove the nitrates that no doubt are high.

After that, id wait a couple days to make sure nothing else pops up and starts to decay. (which will cause a mini cycle). When thats all done, you can add 1 small fish!

Matt

Post some water test results. Dont worry about nothing but ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. Everything else will be affected by the cycle and wont be stable. Read our article on cycling in the SW articles section.

I am going to start with a CUC first.....see how that works. I do not think it will increase the bio load too much.

Back
Top Bottom