Upgrading to a 36 gal, need suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harrytownend

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had my 10 gallon tank for a few months now and I'm starting to realise that it's just too small. The water evaporates to quickly and I need to be on top of my salinity 24/7. I'm planning to upgrade to a 36 gallon tank in the near future and I'm looking for stocking advice. At the moment I have a citron clown goby and an ocellaris clown and I'm planning on purchasing another clown when the new tank is set up. I'm hoping to get another fish but I'm not sure on what to get. Could I get a royal gramma/ bangaii cardinal/ long nose hawkfish? Or could I even get 2 of them? That's a long shot I know.

Is the hawkfish reef safe or will it eat inverts? Another idea I had was to get a green mandarin. I don't know if that would be too hard to keep though. I'm not a beginner but I don't want to get out of my depth! Haha. I don't want to overstock either it so I can keep maintenance down a bit.

I'm not planning on keeping sps any time soon but I might try my hand at lps. I have magnesium, calcium, strontium and carbonate supplements so I might give it a go!

Any advice is hugely appreciated!?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429554469.479046.jpg

I think that the tank is only 24 gallons even though aqadvisor says differently. My question still stands but I definitely won't be trying 5 fish

I would suggest a even bigger tank, as you will probably not going to be content with a 36. Get the biggest size you can afford, space in the house, and be done with.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hawkfish can eat up your Shrimp if you get any, I don't believe he'll go after snails. Cardinal fish would be fine along with another Clown. The Dragonette would require that you dose pods at the start, unless you can get one thats already eating prepared foods. When you swap over tanks its not likely that your going to have a ton of PODs for him to eat right off the bat. Starting up a Fuge with Macro Algae in it, would be the ideal breeding ground for your pods, and possibly a Dragonette in the future though.

I think I'll skip the dragonette for now. 36 gallons is all I can afford right now because I'm only 15

Back
Top Bottom