Wanting to convert one of my tanks into a reef (idk what to do)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GNAAAR

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to convert my ten gallon guppy tank into a small saltwater reef. I have never kept saltwater fish before and i can't seem to find anything on the internet other then just stating the types of corals. If anyone has any suggestions for a setup (you can consider me a beginner fish keeper if it helps).

Any info would be helpful. [emoji16]

in a small tank you can get away with a hob filter . the biggest thing that you would need would be a good light to support corals , a pair of small power heads for circulation and a decent skimmer, you would need sand and rock you also are going to need to do a cycle .

in a ten gallon tank you would be limited to certain fish as theirs not really a big selection that would work in a tank that size.

as for coral it would depend on what you like some coral grows fast and will need constant trimming , I myself always wanted to start a 10g zoa garden no fish just a few small inverts something easy to maintain .

not knowing what your wanting its hard to get going in the direction you want to go , everyone has different ideas on what they expect from there tanks , so some input on your end helping us guide you on the right path .

there are lots of different types of coral that would work in a 10g with out over growing the tank , knowing how to frag out corals that start growing out to much trading them for others you wanted .

in a small tank you can get away with a hob filter . the biggest thing that you would need would be a good light to support corals , a pair of small power heads for circulation and a decent skimmer, you would need sand and rock you also are going to need to do a cycle .

in a ten gallon tank you would be limited to certain fish as theirs not really a big selection that would work in a tank that size.

as for coral it would depend on what you like some coral grows fast and will need constant trimming , I myself always wanted to start a 10g zoa garden no fish just a few small inverts something easy to maintain .

not knowing what your wanting its hard to get going in the direction you want to go , everyone has different ideas on what they expect from there tanks , so some input on your end helping us guide you on the right path .

there are lots of different types of coral that would work in a 10g with out over growing the tank , knowing how to frag out corals that start growing out to much trading them for others you wanted .

I was thinking about some toadstools, zoanthids, and maybe one montipora. For fish I have been thinking about a clownfish or 2(not sure if tank is big enough my results from research vary widely). I would also see if I could get a fire fish or a goby (again sizes have varied widely in research). Hopefully this helps.

clown fish need at-least 30g

gobys and blenys are about it as far as fish in 10g ,you have very limited choices
there's always inverts like a pair of skunk cleaner shrimp,even a fire shrimp ,
toad stools look awesome just remember they do get huge ,zoa's are a good choice mushrooms , candy cane maybe a small torch or hammer they can be fraged as they grow

Sure, but u couldn't go wrong with some anemones and arrow crabs

Sure, but u couldn't go wrong with some anemones and arrow crabs

No...nems need established tanks and most get to large for a 10. Arrow crabs get huge and can become predatory especially with small gobies.

I'd stay away from montipora, or any sps for that matter until you can grow softies well. I started with a 10 gallon with a hob filter and it was honestly pretty easy. Wcs make maintaining it convenient as even if something goes wrong usually a decent experience can fix the issue.

Sorry, freshwater fish keeper here, how about a goby of some sort

I have been interested in gobies because I like how unique they would look compared to fish I keep in other tanks.

Thanks for all the replies they help me a lot.

I would also go with a small goby, or maybe some shrimps. A HOB filter with live rock will work fine. Been running a 20g with a hob filter for a year before I broke it down for a smaller nano tank.

Back
Top Bottom