Water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David Moyer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a biocube 14. Just did a 10-15 percent water change. Before I added the new sea water, I added chemicals to the water like nitrate reducer, reef accelerator, calcium, trace elements, iodine, and some others. Not a lot, just a couple drops. Is this ok to do?

IME The new water has most of what your system needs. Adding any thing without knowing what your what the levels are you maybe heading for trouble.

Yur asking for trouble if you are dosing things you are not testing for and that yur system does not lack a system that small your pwcs will supply all the trace elements yur tank needs ...imo I would not add no chemicals to a tank that small it don't need it just keep up on the water changes........

Thanx for the reply. Getting really frustrated and I'm starting to lose the battle.
So what u r saying with my biocube 14, just stick with 10-20 percent water changes every week. No other chemicals. I don't really test for the other chemicals-just ph, nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, salinity. I don't want to break the bank with this hobby--that's what my 3 kids r for.

Can/should I had chemi-pure elite or soothe thing for my phosphorus. Getting green hair algae pretty bad.

My frogspawn and Duncan coral don't look healthy at all--if they aren't dead already.

A lot of people say about a reactor. I want to keep this simple. I don't want to be drilling new holes in my bio 14 for reactors or lights. I'd like to keep everything stock.

Help, need lots of it.

Thanx

U need to do bigger water changes, at least 25%. If I were u I would do twice a week changes of 25% each. Do u have a clean up crew?, I have a 6 gallon w/ 2 Astraea snails, 1 nessarius, 1 margarita, 2 reef scarlet, 2 dwarf blue and they munch on any type of algae that grows all day. I also run LEDs from 7 am to 3 pm, 8 hours that's all. I haven't had an excess of algae since I have used this regiment, just the right amount. What type of lights?

Yep, you got it. Just water changes and nothing else. Adding chemicals blindly is most likely what's killing things.

In my 24 gallon aquapod I have carbon ,filter floss which I change once a week then the stuff I sware by for my nanos is api phosphate remover it comes in a bag already is very cheap no need for a reactor with a tank this small and keep up on yur pwc ....this is my results I had major hair algae I used the api media and kept up on pwc pulled out what I could and it took about 3 weeks to a month befor all was well hope this helps

ForumRunner_20130127_123738.jpg

I have stock lighting and that's what I plan on keeping. I have a clean up crew. If they didn't die already, they definitely aren't eating the gha. I have some cerith, naus, turbo, 2 reef hermits and some red and blue legged hermits.
Stock lights r on for 8 hrs, then blue moon lights on for a couple hrs.

How comes everyone's tank looks so nice, but mine is a piece of crap. Is it because its only up and running for 6 weeks or maybe it's just not for me.

My wife says just let it alone and see what happens. Is that what I should do. Just leave it alone, except for the 25 percent water changes?

R Mexican turbo snails better than regular turbo snails?
R emerald crabs worth getting for gha? I heard there r a lot of crab haters out there.

Thanks for the help

This hobby takes time and patience mixed with lots of reading and networking to solve issues if u look back in my treads you will see were I was going to give up ,but the people on hear are awesome and got me on the right path ,we need to solve your issues first then work on cosmetic issues plus 6 weeks is a young tank you are gunna have algae outbreaks, wait till u get your first cyno outbreak I fought that crap for 4 months got on hear I believe it was Mr x who told me about my nutrient issues I did exactly what he said I have not had cyno since,so just be patient it will mature into a nice tank

Mexican turbos get real big ,emeralds do eat the algae but to buy one for that imo does nothing you have to solve the proublem plus those little boogers can be aggressive

I have stock lighting and that's what I plan on keeping. I have a clean up crew. If they didn't die already, they definitely aren't eating the gha. I have some cerith, naus, turbo, 2 reef hermits and some red and blue legged hermits.
Stock lights r on for 8 hrs, then blue moon lights on for a couple hrs.

How comes everyone's tank looks so nice, but mine is a piece of crap. Is it because its only up and running for 6 weeks or maybe it's just not for me.

My wife says just let it alone and see what happens. Is that what I should do. Just leave it alone, except for the 25 percent water changes?

R Mexican turbo snails better than regular turbo snails?
R emerald crabs worth getting for gha? I heard there r a lot of crab haters out there.

Thanks for the help

Just do 25% water changes 2 times a week and see what happens. A lot should clear up, u have to stay focused and realize things take time. R u running carbon?, use a poly-filter pad, and make sure u change them every 3 weeks. Don't over feed. You say your tank is 6 weeks old, how did u add everything?, all at once or over time?

Here is another picture, sorry for the crappy pix.

Next water change take out the rock that has all the hair growing on it and with the water that was taken out brush the hair off and rinse it in another bucket of that water and then put it back in your tank. Just keep up with bigger water changes. 10% is not enough. 14 gallons, I'd change at least 3 gallons each water change.

Post the tanks history?, was it cycled? U have a lot of stuff for a 6 week old tank. I went in to this hobby uneducated and wasted a lot of money. We all learn the hard way but anything can be corrected over time.

I actually did that with taking the rock out and scrubbing it. It came back with vengeance. I'm gonna pick up on the water changes and see what happens.

Yes, I have to much to soon, and I'm paying for it. Very impatient person, and I guess you need to be very patient with this. I just want an awesom looking aquarium.

Tank looks good.... I also tried to stay with stock lighting but I do want to try and convince you to look into a lighting upgrade.

Look; it's worth it to look into led lights. Shop and compare!

I tried to stay with stock fluorescent but ultimately changed to current USA pro lumen led .

I have 4 12in my bc 29.... Well worth it I think. A heckuva lot less heat!!!! And better lighting for livestock.

Attachments

• image-1095264761.jpg
    image-1095264761.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 58
  • image-724682064.jpg
    image-724682064.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 51
  • image-743841371.jpg
    image-743841371.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 56
Back
Top Bottom