Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Nano Reefs
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Weird looking worm

Hi all new to the salt water world I'm 4 weeks in to the setup of my tank live rock is in and this weekend I put in some hermit crabs but nothing else yet, on checking the tank tonight I noticed this worm looking thing looks a bit like a skinny caterpillar I've attached a phot not the best as its from my phone

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-702126472.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	125343

Old 10-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bristleworm. Most are harmless detrivores. Some can be nasty, all can inflict pain.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1
Bristleworm. Most are harmless detrivores. Some can be nasty, all can inflict pain.
Ok Thank You do they get big a its only nano tank when you said it can inflict pain do you mean to me or the other fish?? How an I tell if its one of the nasty ones?? And do you just take them out of the tank??
Old 10-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidders1980 View Post
Ok Thank You do they get big a its only nano tank when you said it can inflict pain do you mean to me or the other fish?? How an I tell if its one of the nasty ones?? And do you just take them out of the tank??
There are hundreds (if not thousands) of species of bristle / fire worms. They range from as 1" to 10' (feet) +. Generally to you. They don't really harm fish, but may go after corals. They are opportunistic omnivores and will eat whatever is available to them. Some fish will prey on them (if they fit your tank plans / stocking). You can manually removal by trap. I've never had a problem with leaving them in personally.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #5

Cool I shall leave him be just never seen anything like it before after seeing info online mine is black and red with white bristles I have read they help eat left over food is that correct?? , I'm thinking of putting a couple of corrals in like mushrooms and toadstools nothin to crazy with a couple shrimp and two common clown fish don't really want to stock it to much as its only a small tank . Thank you for the advice def a help for a newbie like me much appreciated
Old 10-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidders1980
Cool I shall leave him be just never seen anything like it before after seeing info online mine is black and red with white bristles I have read they help eat left over food is that correct?? , I'm thinking of putting a couple of corrals in like mushrooms and toadstools nothin to crazy with a couple shrimp and two common clown fish don't really want to stock it to much as its only a small tank . Thank you for the advice def a help for a newbie like me much appreciated
When you say "nano", how nano are we talking? Cuz 2 clowns will need at least a 20g tank. They are messy fish and make a lot of waste compared to some other fish.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl

When you say "nano", how nano are we talking? Cuz 2 clowns will need at least a 20g tank. They are messy fish and make a lot of waste compared to some other fish.
Completely untrue. I have a pair of clowns that don't create much in my reef. Turbo snails on the other hand [moderator edit] everywhere they can once established. 20 gallons would be efficient but can be in smaller systems. Notice they stay in one area of your entire tank anyways. I wouldn't go under 10 gallons tho. Provided some room for swimming excersize. I deal with this stuff all the time. I work at my LFS. Don't recondmend under 20 but is still do-able
Old 10-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't recondmend turbos btw. they knock my corals over and Piss them off. Especially my hammer and frogspawn. Sweepers everywhere.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:14 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcrazyroyboy

Completely untrue. I have a pair of clowns that don't create much in my reef. Turbo snails on the other hand [moderator edit] everywhere they can once established. 20 gallons would be efficient but can be in smaller systems. Notice they stay in one area of your entire tank anyways. I wouldn't go under 10 gallons tho. Provided some room for swimming excersize. I deal with this stuff all the time. I work at my LFS. Don't recondmend under 20 but is still do-able
My clown doesn't stay in the same place at all!!!! He swims all around the tank like a crazy fish, nonstop. Of course 2 clowns can be kept in a 10g for short periods, like at an LFS. I see this every time I step into any LFS. Tangs are kept in 10g tanks at LFS too, doesn't mean they should live in them for the rest of its life. I'm saying that for long term, a 10g for 2 clowns is small. You even stated at the end of your post that you don't recommend under a 20g, so I guess what I stated isn't "completely untrue."
Old 10-17-2012, 02:25 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah. My clown swims all through my 30 and I'd bet my tank he's gonna swim everywhere in my 90 also :p he's like a crack head.

Tags
weir, worm

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com