Weird looking worm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tidders1980

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all new to the salt water world I'm 4 weeks in to the setup of my tank live rock is in and this weekend I put in some hermit crabs but nothing else yet, on checking the tank tonight I noticed this worm looking thing looks a bit like a skinny caterpillar I've attached a phot not the best as its from my phone

image-702126472.jpg

Bristleworm. Most are harmless detrivores. Some can be nasty, all can inflict pain.

HN1 said:
Bristleworm. Most are harmless detrivores. Some can be nasty, all can inflict pain.

Ok Thank You do they get big a its only nano tank when you said it can inflict pain do you mean to me or the other fish?? How an I tell if its one of the nasty ones?? And do you just take them out of the tank??

Ok Thank You do they get big a its only nano tank when you said it can inflict pain do you mean to me or the other fish?? How an I tell if its one of the nasty ones?? And do you just take them out of the tank??

There are hundreds (if not thousands) of species of bristle / fire worms. They range from as 1" to 10' (feet) +. Generally to you. They don't really harm fish, but may go after corals. They are opportunistic omnivores and will eat whatever is available to them. Some fish will prey on them (if they fit your tank plans / stocking). You can manually removal by trap. I've never had a problem with leaving them in personally.

Cool I shall leave him be just never seen anything like it before after seeing info online mine is black and red with white bristles I have read they help eat left over food is that correct?? , I'm thinking of putting a couple of corrals in like mushrooms and toadstools nothin to crazy with a couple shrimp and two common clown fish don't really want to stock it to much as its only a small tank . Thank you for the advice def a help for a newbie like me much appreciated

tidders1980 said:
Cool I shall leave him be just never seen anything like it before after seeing info online mine is black and red with white bristles I have read they help eat left over food is that correct?? , I'm thinking of putting a couple of corrals in like mushrooms and toadstools nothin to crazy with a couple shrimp and two common clown fish don't really want to stock it to much as its only a small tank . Thank you for the advice def a help for a newbie like me much appreciated

When you say "nano", how nano are we talking? Cuz 2 clowns will need at least a 20g tank. They are messy fish and make a lot of waste compared to some other fish.

Beengirl said:
When you say "nano", how nano are we talking? Cuz 2 clowns will need at least a 20g tank. They are messy fish and make a lot of waste compared to some other fish.

Completely untrue. I have a pair of clowns that don't create much in my reef. Turbo snails on the other hand [moderator edit] everywhere they can once established. 20 gallons would be efficient but can be in smaller systems. Notice they stay in one area of your entire tank anyways. I wouldn't go under 10 gallons tho. Provided some room for swimming excersize. I deal with this stuff all the time. I work at my LFS. Don't recondmend under 20 but is still do-able

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't recondmend turbos btw. they knock my corals over and Piss them off. Especially my hammer and frogspawn. Sweepers everywhere.

Madcrazyroyboy said:
Completely untrue. I have a pair of clowns that don't create much in my reef. Turbo snails on the other hand [moderator edit] everywhere they can once established. 20 gallons would be efficient but can be in smaller systems. Notice they stay in one area of your entire tank anyways. I wouldn't go under 10 gallons tho. Provided some room for swimming excersize. I deal with this stuff all the time. I work at my LFS. Don't recondmend under 20 but is still do-able

My clown doesn't stay in the same place at all!!!! He swims all around the tank like a crazy fish, nonstop. Of course 2 clowns can be kept in a 10g for short periods, like at an LFS. I see this every time I step into any LFS. Tangs are kept in 10g tanks at LFS too, doesn't mean they should live in them for the rest of its life. I'm saying that for long term, a 10g for 2 clowns is small. You even stated at the end of your post that you don't recommend under a 20g, so I guess what I stated isn't "completely untrue."

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. My clown swims all through my 30 and I'd bet my tank he's gonna swim everywhere in my 90 also :p he's like a crack head.

Usually when they are a "mated" pair they stay in one area. Basically hosting and guarding one area. And I don't recondmend under 20 gal but it can be done. And the tangs in 5 gal is a crappy idea unless they are very small. It stresses them out.

Thank you

Thank you every One,

My Tank is small but more on the Higher end of the Nano side its about a 22gallon tank def not one that can sit on a work desktop its in the kitchen on a work top. I also bought a external filter for it to increase the volume when filtering the water.

I dont plan to put a lot in there the clowns will be the only fish with a shrimp and hermit crabs and some snails not sure what snails to get yet though any suggestions???

Before starting this project i had a Freshwater Tropical tank for a few years to get experience in looking after fish before moving to saltwater.
The filter and lights where all bought new for the salt water tank its been running nearly two months now so taking it slow the hermits went in last weekend might get a shrimp this weekend the wait a few more weeks before adding fish but i might get a few small corals first so prob wont be until November before i add any fish just want to take things slow.

With the salinity of the water whats the best parameters for it??

Once again thank you all for your advice.

1.026 is natural saltwater. So strive for that. And shrimp are really delicate. If I were you I'd think about adding the clowns first. They're hardy :)

Khij159753 said:
1.026 is natural saltwater. So strive for that. And shrimp are really delicate. If I were you I'd think about adding the clowns first. They're hardy :)

Not all seawater is 1.026 although most is.. with that said when dealing with a small tank (anything under 50 gallons) I'd reccomend keeping salinity at 1.025 to give you a little buffer room during evaporation if you do not own an ATO (automatic top off).

Also as for snails you really want a variety cause they all take care of special jobs. My favorite is nassarious snails though :) the hermits will pick off a few snails. And what lighting you got?

Khij159753 said:
Also as for snails you really want a variety cause they all take care of special jobs. My favorite is nassarious snails though :) the hermits will pick off a few snails. And what lighting you got?

Agree. Astrea, turbo and banded trochus snails will clean your glass and rock, a conch will clean the sandbed, cerith snails clean lower part of glass and into sandbed-I don't see mine hardly ever, Nassarius keep the sand bed gently stirred, hermits will pick algae and food off rocks. Better to mix it up than get all the same kind.

Thank you everyone for your advice didn't realise there was that many snails will check in my LFS this weekend. How do you guys rate buying live stock over the Internet ?? Once again thank you for the advice this place has saved me from rushing and making avoidable mistakes :)

For snails I'd recommend going to your lfs telling them how big your tank is and asking if they can make you a little baggy of snails for them. My lfs does that and will throw in a bunch of random snails and give me a discount also.

Just to give all a update after all your advice and help, I'm now in Month 3 nearly 4 cleaning crew been in for 2 months. Got the snails suggested love my sand one he's funny lol. Ended up greeting the shrimp first he's a right character love him, he has been in a few weeks and doing well. Water tested good today so finally can head off to LFS tomorrow to get the clown fish I have been working toward wish me luck. Once again thank you to every one who has helped with great advice I'm sure I will have many questions in weeks to come

Back
Top Bottom