What and how to feed coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm I dont feed my corals, just my sun polyps. They are supposed to get everything from the water column and the light that they need. Some people supplement the feeding but I'm not sure that it's necessary/

:)

Feeding corals isnt nessecery but can help. I use reef roids for my acans and marin snow for my polyps. I feed them about 1 or 2 a month. You can also try missis shrimp some coral love missis.

What corals?
What fish do you have?
What are you feeding the fish?
These will all drastically effect what and how to feed.

Here's the coral I got yesterday. The picture is of it closed up but a picture is better then nothing.

I currently have no fish.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110804_144916.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110804_144916.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 123
If you do your water changes on time they will get everything they need from that and the lights on the tank. Some people do feed their corals but it's not necessary. :)

I`ve never fed my corals. They get all they need from the water column. Been like that for 13 yrs now. You can view my tank if you want to see the results.

I`ve never fed my corals. They get all they need from the water column. Been like that for 13 yrs now. You can view my tank if you want to see the results.

I can look at that tank again and again. Gorgeous. Just gorgeous.

I only hope I have that much success!

I just want folks to know that feeding of your corals is just not necessary. Thanks for the feedback.

I think it depends on the tank. Depending on the corals, the fish, the food fed to the fish, and what you want to get out of your corals they may benefit from feeding. For example, if you feed something like Rod's food or almost any frozen food to the fish, you are feeding the corals. You may not have added anything to your feeding regimen specifically for the corals, but that doesn't mean they aren't actively feeding on foods going into the tank.

Even if the corals do well without it, some may do even better with some feeding. For example, many LPS will get everything they need without any direct or active feeding on our part, but a little meaty food once a week or so may be appreciated (and even increase growth rate).

I am not saying corals need food, but I wouldn't say none do (or at least not that none would benefit from it).

When feeding I think it is important to feed for the corals. Tossing in a bunch of foods isn't the way to go. For example, if you want to feed SPS you need to choose a food appropriate for them. This would be things like Golden Pearls, frozen oyster eggs, etc. Not mixes with a bunch of other things mixed in that may not be eaten. Or: with LPS it would be more effective to directly feed them, not broadcast feed. I would feed mine 3mm pellets and they loved it.

That said, anything that goes into the tank has to come out. The more you feed the more nutrients you put in, which is more food for algae. Without an effective refugium or water changes the benefits of extra feeding may not be worth the extra nutrient input and actually do more harm in the end.

Back
Top Bottom