What do you need for a 20 gallon saltwater reef???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nikachu0315

Aquarium Advice Freak
Title says it all is this it? 1. 20 gallon tank (duh) 2.Led lights (marine aquarium lanp 120w 55*3W dimmable led aquarium light for coral reef) 3. Hydrometer 4.api saltwater testing kit 5. Hob filter (rated 30-40) 6. 2 Power heads (240 gph) 7.thermometer 8. Good salt mix 9. 20 lbs of lr 10. 10 lbs of live sand 11 heater
Is this pretty much it?

Yep sounds like you hit all the basics! Are the powerheads 240 gph each or total? If total you will probably need more flow for a reef.

Lol sounds like it! Good luck on the tank I just upgraded my 10 gallon reef to a 20 and it's so much better.

I would go for two of the koralia nano 240 gph the maxijets aren't as great of powerheads IMO. They also only do 110 gph each.

im getting 2 400s XD

Use a heavy sand lol might blow sand all over with that much flow in a shorter tank. I ran 2 MJpro 1200s in my 210 and it blew my sand all over. I switched to 4 koralia 1500s and haven't had and issue. I think the MJ circ pumps just put out a fast narrow stream rather than the koralia's wide flow.

Haha get koralias... 100% better in my opinion. I've had maxi jets and koralias.... Hands down koralia.

Here is the equipment that went into my 20g tank. I had a bunch of stuff already available to me for my build. Those items included:

• Marineland 20 gallon LED tank kit Tank stand
  • Marineland Penguin 150 HOB filter
  • Filter floss
  • 50 micron filter pads
  • Thermometer
  • Marineland heater
Obviously, that isn't enough to sustain a saltwater tank. Additional items had to be purchased:

• Hydor Koralia Nano 425 (2 of these).
  • Hydor Smartwave Controller
  • Eheim Jager 75W heater
  • Refractometer
  • Maxi-Jet 400 Powerhead: This is the powerhead used in the saltwater storage bucket.
  • BRS 5 stage plus RO/DI system
  • BRS Fiji dry rock (20 lbs)
  • Fiji pink Arag-Alive! sand (20 lbs)
  • Special grade Arag-Alive! sand (10 lbs)
  • Seachem Purigen
  • 5 gallon buckets (3 of these: one for RO/DI water storage, one for saltwater storage, one for wastewater during PWCs)
  • 20 gallon container: for the initial saltwater mix.
The above purchases came to approx $525 in additional equipment.

I'm going to add the following in stages over the next few months:

• 150GPD upgrade to RO/DI system
  • Tunze Osmolator Auto top off system
  • TaoTronics dimmable 120W LED system for sufficient lighting for corals.

Title says it all is this it? 1. 20 gallon tank (duh) 2.Led lights (marine aquarium lanp 120w 55*3W dimmable led aquarium light for coral reef) 3. Hydrometer 4.api saltwater testing kit 5. Hob filter (rated 30-40) 6. 2 Power heads (240 gph) 7.thermometer 8. Good salt mix 9. 20 lbs of lr 10. 10 lbs of live sand 11 heater Is this pretty much it?

Maybe go 20lbs of live sand. They're mostly in 20lb bags anyway :)

Back
Top Bottom