What Else Do I Need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm making a list of the things I'm going to need to for my new tank,just to get my bearings. Is there anything you think is missing from this list?

Oceanic 29 Gallon Biocube
Biocube Stand
Biocube Protein Skimmer

Oceanic Bio Cube Circulation Pump 250

CaribSea Aragamax Select Aragonite

Instant Ocean Reef Crystals Salt
Omega One Garlic Marine Pellets Fish Food
Omega One Garlic Marine Flakes

Omega One Veggie Flakes Freshwater and Marine Food
API Saltwater Master Test Kit
Refractometer
Drs. Foster & Smith Select Nano Live Rock
Key Largo Prime Cuts By The Pound(Base Rock)

:thanks:

Yep, I would up that to a 425 at least. thast what i have and I find it adequate. I would love to replace mine but the 90g build comes first lol

You guys ninja posted!

Anyway, I'll have to look into a 425. The 250 was just the first thing I saw. Anything else?

The 425 pump isn't a biocube specific thing, is it? Cause I don't see any ones other than that 250.

Nope, the koralias arent specifically for any tank but I have one 425 in the upper corner of my cube. Fits perfect and isnt too big. :)

I would ditch the bio cube skimmer. Its a piece of ****. It does a horrible job of skimming, If your absolutely positive you want a skimmer go with a HOB one. I like the eshopps PSK-75. Affordable and does a great job. Or another way to get rid f extra nutrients would be a HOB fuge. Great way to have macro algae which eats nitrate and phosphate and keeps most nuisance algae out of your DT.

The Koralia nano series are a great circ pump. A 425 would be a good start and if that's not enough you could always get another ot be like me in my case where I have a 425 and the smaller 250

oops, sorry betta didnt spot the biocube skimmer on your list. In my experience with it it was junk and I sold it off on craigs list. :-D

There are a few options for a skimmer, one is that you pass on it entirely. If you do proper water changes and pay attention tot he tank you should be fine without one. Another option is a nano slim or tunze. They fit in the middle compartment where the bioballs are. I don't use the bioballs myself but have a fuge and media tray in my center compartment.

here's the link for the addon filter accessories if youre interested

BioCube 29 Package Deal - Aquarium Filtration Upgrades & Supplies

If its a FOWLR tank you can keep the bio balls but if you plan on doing corals eventually I would ditch the bio balls as they can become nitrate traps. You can make a custom tray to fit in the slot with a few shelves on it to carry your dif medias (I.e carbon, gfo, chemipure/ purigen, ect.) out of just 1/4" egg crate and zip ties.

xxStLxx said:
If its a FOWLR tank you can keep the bio balls but if you plan on doing corals eventually I would ditch the bio balls as they can become nitrate traps. You can make a custom tray to fit in the slot with a few shelves on it to carry your dif medias (I.e carbon, gfo, chemipure/ purigen, ect.) out of just 1/4" egg crate and zip ties.

I wasn't planning on using the bioballs, from what I had read. And it is a reef tank. That's why it's in the nano reef section. ;)

If you want a skimmer that actually works and fits the space try the Hydor Slim Skim

Back
Top Bottom