Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Nano Reefs
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2005, 07:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

What to put in a 10 gallon tank

What would you put in a 10 gallon saltwater tank, nothing in it but some live sand and a small piece of liverock.. I have 2 other saltwater tanks, and i realy wanted to get seahorses, would i be able to put a seahorse or 2 in this tank.... any other ideas if i cant do a seahorse i was thinking a little firefish goby and maybe another small fish???? any ideas would be great.

i know a 10 gallon is a challenge this is not my only tank, thanks

29 gallon saltwater "reef tank", 10 lbs crushed coral, 40 lbs aruglive sand, two percula clowns, one firefish,cleaner shrimp, blue legg hermits, 25 pounds fiji live rock, penguin 350 biowheel filter, prism delux hang on protien skimmer, maxijet 1200 powerhead, 125watt ebo jager heater, regular floresent lamp.
mattt6511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 08:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
I dont think you could do seahorse tank, reidis and other species generally need 30 gallons or more. You could definately do a firefish and maybe a clown goby or something..

StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 08:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
Seahorses are a definite no.

Most seahorses require a tank of at least 30 gallons. The only other seahorses that can be kept in smaller tanks are cold water species like hippocampus capensis. Both of which need water that's around 60-65 degrees and in a 10 it's still really pushing it. There is a non coldwater species, hipocampus zosterae, but they get around an inch or a little more and a tank that's 5 gallons or less is recommended for a beginner to them. Zosterae's need baby brine shrimp and hatching it constantly and feeding it only if they are about 4-5 hours or less old. They are more demanding than most seahorses and I really don't recommend you try them, at least not until you know a lot about them and have the right tank.

So skippind seahorses I would recommend something like firefish, neon gobies, some species of clownfish, or other similar sized fish.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok i dont want to get in over my head with seahorses then... So what should i do, say a firefish goby and a clown goby, and maybe a pistol shrimp, would that be oky.???
29 gallon saltwater "reef tank", 10 lbs crushed coral, 40 lbs aruglive sand, two percula clowns, one firefish,cleaner shrimp, blue legg hermits, 25 pounds fiji live rock, penguin 350 biowheel filter, prism delux hang on protien skimmer, maxijet 1200 powerhead, 125watt ebo jager heater, regular floresent lamp.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A firefish and a clown goby should be okay.

I wouldn't add the pistol shrimp though.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

hmm i just thought the gobies and pistols got along, would i be able to put any shrimp in it tho, maybe one coral banded shrimp
Old 11-20-2005, 04:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Pistol shrimp have to be paired up with shrimp a shrimp goby. A more suitable shrimp for such a small tank would be a peppermint shrimp.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 04:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Don't add a coral banded shrimp.

I have one in my 10 gallon and im about to smash it with a hammer.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:39 PM   #9

Ever thought of a nano reef tank. Had two ten gallon ones. In the first had a really cool brain coral and in the other had to awsome maximas. Both tanks outgrew but the profit from them more than outwayed the expense. Made up the calcium costs electricity the whole nine when I sold them to a guy that had a 200 pluse reef. But its just a suggestion. Oh, yeah after sold them got some small perculas with an anenome they loved that little setup.

Tags
10 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com