Which anemone for nano w/ clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesR

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am planning my Nano setup and would like to get a hardy anemone that would be good for hosting a clown. I'm not 100% sure which clown yet, but if anyone has any recomendations on an anemone that is both hardy and would make a good place for a clown, I would appreciate it.

12 Gal nano with 4 watts per gallon PC lighting and 20lbs of LR.

I know there are other factors & this ? has likely been asked alot, but I'd really appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

I plan on getting an RBTA(rose bubble tipped anenome) once my tank is established better. I have seen several hosting clowns and they are pretty easy to care for as far as anenomes go. I currently have a hairy mushroom corol that I have seen my clown hanging out in(I just lost the clown this a.m.)

BTA is your best bet, but I'm not certain 4wpg is enough light for any anemone, and you need a stable tank for at least 6 months before you add something as delicate as an anemone.

The major problem with "hardy anemonae" is that there is no such thing. Most require high light and perfect water. IMHO they should be left in the ocean. Their life span rivals a humans (sometimes much longer) in the wild. An anem kept for 2-3 years in captivity is considered successful. Sounds more like a death sentence to me. But again...just my humble opinion :wink:

Second that on anemone's being hard to keep...... ESPECIALLY in a 10g ... my LFS has a nano that is easily less that 5g with a clown and they have several mushrooms and a small toadstool... the clown seems to take turns hosting all of them....

It has been recommended to me to use various corals such as toadstools, mushrooms, etc and the clown *might* host... that's where the problem will come in.... clowns host alot of things, it's just hit or miss though....and the corals are alot easier to keep than the anemone would....

I heard that you almost have to purchase a clown that has already took to hosting with an ame cause most of the times they wont host an in captivity...thats just what i got from reading up on teh subject. Thats what I want too but few clowns and some ame

c0mf0rt said:
It has been recommended to me to use various corals such as toadstools, mushrooms, etc and the clown *might* host... that's where the problem will come in.... clowns host alot of things, it's just hit or miss though....and the corals are alot easier to keep than the anemone would....

Thanks for all the info, I will be seeding the nano with sand/lr/and water from my established tank but I want something I can care for. I like the ideas above, I'll look into those corals.

thanks,
Jim

Ofcourse there is an extremely "hardy" anemone you can have and have plenty of them. Aiptasia!!!! I'm sure the clowns won't host in it though. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom