Who else keeps nano tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AR15 guy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering. I set up my 10 gallon because everyone at the LFS told me 10 gallon salt water tank couldn't be done. I want to know why people say this. A buddy and I both have a 10 gal SW tank. Very basic setups and they are doing great.

Wonder when/how people got this assumption that 10 gallon salt water tanks can't be done.

I have two ten gallon sw tanks. It can be done, it's just a bit trickier due to the low volume of water. As you well know. The slightest adjustment makes a big difference. But, certainly it's not impossible.

I've got a 20 a 10 a 2.5 and a .5

the guy from that fish store is an idiot. Nano tanks aren't as hard to keep as everyone says either. he said that so you would buy a bigger tank and he would get more commission.

i have a nano tank, but its in the closet now, it wasn't hard to keep at all... i never had a temp fluctuation at all, never had chemical problems either... and that was a 12gal...

It might be a good place to cycle small rocks... ummm... I was wondering the same thing honestly. I cant even imagine how small a .5 gallon tank is.

I have a 10 and a 5 gal. Nothing but simple corals and a sexy shrimp the the 5 gal though.

My 10 gal will be torn down when I plump the 20L in for my new frag tank.

Can be done though. A weeks vaction might be tough on it though.

i gots a 14g and a 6gal.

I havent been in this hobby long at all but i've read that about 10-15 yrs ago lots of people thought having a 10g tank is crazy and would never work. It's the old school thought that a reef tank must be large to surive. But now with the internet, mass amount of information can be shared to help push this hobby to where it has not dared to go before and the improvement of equipment also aids in this.

i just set up a 20 gal sw tank.. i guess that is a nano tank. I am having fun with it. I just picked up a piece of coral for decoration. I have a damsel keeping my bacteria company... :)

My 10 gallon is doing great. I am running no hood so I do have to add a little water daily. Friend of mine has had a 10 gallon up for a month with a tight fitting hood and has only topped off once. Not to bad at all.

Joshsmit56001 said:
What is the point of keeping a .5 gallon tank??

I honestly can't give you an answer. I set it up out of total boredom. It's got polyps zoas and some gsp in it..... yellow tang soon to follow.

I love seeing pictures of the small tanks. They are so deceptive. You think you are looking at a large tank and then read it's a nano or pico. :lol:

If the scale is right, and the photo quality is good, you cant tell the size of the tank without being told.

I wanted to make a poll, but after how many years of sw experience did each of you set up a nano.

I setup my 20 gallon with zero years experience. Of course I made a lot of newbie mistakes... CC , UG filter , cycling with damsels :oops: But now 2 years later its doing quite well despite being under attack from hair algae and cyano.

I have a 10 gallon thats doing great I have no experience in salt water. Granted this is going to become a fuge for a 29 gallon soon.

Back
Top Bottom