Why wont my corals open!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stouty6969

Aquarium Advice Regular
I added a cuc and 2 Ora true percula clowns and I did a pwc and now my corals shut up and havent opened yet not even a little bit why is this? If ne one can help all my parameters are great but salinity level is high a little would that be tue problem?

Please provide specifics about your system--tank size, parameters, how long it has been set up, using RO water, what kind of corals, etc? No one can help you with the question that you posed because of lack of info.

Mr. Crabs said:
Please provide specifics about your system--tank size, parameters, how long it has been set up, using RO water, what kind of corals, etc? No one can help you with the question that you posed because of lack of info.

5g tank ph 8.0 ammo 0 Trites 0 trates 7 been setup for 2 weeks fully cycled using ro water 3 zooanyhids off the same kind and I'm thinking the other one is an acan I have 2 Ora true percula clowns 1 peppermint shrimp emerald crab 5 hermit crabs 1 snail all live rock

And salinity is over 1.032 can I use distiller water or spring with ro water to bring down the salinity bc all my ro water is way above the right salinity level the girl at my lfs screwed up

melosu58 said:
What type lighting?

Stock lighting it cane with the tank but before I added all my cuc and my clowns my corals where open and booming idk what happened

I would say its the salinity. You should go get more ro water and make new saltwater. Be careful not to bring it down too fast. Your tank can't handle a swing like that.

Bige said:
I would say its the salinity. You should go get more ro water and make new saltwater. Be careful not to bring it down too fast. Your tank can't handle a swing like that.

I don't have the money do go get more I used all my money on it and I dont get paid till Friday is there ne way I can use distiller or spring water just to help bring it down

You do realize that the smaller the tank is the more difficult it is to keep the water/salinity correct, right? You may need to add a bit of fresh water every day or two to keep salinity in the correct range. You should look on craigs list and see if you can pick up a used 10 Or 20Gal tank. Much better for a beginner. (I was told my first SW tank should be no less than a 29gal). More water allows for more error... (it will cushion the swings).

I use tap water with some amquel to top off my tank every week. If you have a simple carbon filter (like britta) use that to filter the water first. I think the RO/DI water for top off is over rated (as long as you are doing reg water changes) unless you are keeping really sensitive animals. (Been doing this for 20 years...)

See I think ppl over rate the how many fish u can put in ur tank as long as u keep up with it and make sure eveuthing is going good I have a protein skimmer on the back and I do pwc eveyweek I keep up on my stuff and my clowns r literally .5 inch each.... Yea I kneo it's harder to keep nanos I'm working on my 20 g with a 10 g sump as week speak and I'm going to place the perculas in there

It's not about your water conditions, it's about the fact each fish has a recommended swimming volume and a clown is 10g each so practically it's like putting a dog In a wardrobe and expecting it not to get stressed. I suggest you sort your bigger tank and fast otherwise your gonna be put of pocket with two dead clowns.

Back
Top Bottom