With what I think is brown algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Needles15

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need help!! I'm pretty new to the saltwater world but I have a 6gal fluval edge tank.. With what I think is brown algae? I'm a bit of a perfectionist so it's killing me.. My tank is 5 weeks old ..All my tests are great, Sg is 1.023 .. My 2 clowns seem happy as can be, I have about 10 hermit crabs, skunk cleaner shrimp, and a snail.. How can I get rid of this!!?

Probably diatoms. They usually starve themselves in a couple weeks. Might come back though. Try your hardest to keep your hands out of the tank as much as possible ;)
2 clowns in a 6 gallon sounds like 2 clowns too much :lol: Wait it out. Your sand won't stay very white forever :eek:

Thanks! And I read somewhere that changing the time my light is on? Would that help any?

I have about 10 hermit crabs, a turbo snail, and a skunk cleaner shrimp.. And my clowns are only a few months old.. Maybe an inch long ? Idk if this helps figure out the problem but I do 20% w.c about every 5 days..

That's a lot of bioload for a small tank. More water changes are in you future. :) 10 hermits is quite a bit as well. I've got a 28gallon nano and I started with 6. The thing with hermits is they kill each other till the biggest and strongest is left, I'm down to one and I wouldn't add any more. Don't forget anything that poops is gonna add to your bioload and in turn feed your algae as well. I will ask as well what kind of clowns are they?

I'd say too many hermits ( 1 or 2) and not enough snails (3-4). Also, as mentioned that's heavy bioload and awfully small for 2 clowns. I have a 16 gal with 2 OC clowns, a cleaner shrimp, 5 snails. Increase the snails and that should help, keep up the WC and see how things go.

Wow thanks everyone ill do that! Weird that you say that about the hermit crabs cause I just found a dead one , beginner mistake but that what you guys are for! And I have oc clowns also.. If I were to take one clown back would the other be okay by itself !? And my feeding schedule is Sun,mon,wed,fri .. Is that okay?

Just check live aquaria or a similar website and they do tell a minimum tank size for each fish you are considering. I believe they say 30 gallons minimum for ocellaris clowns. It's at least a basic guide you can go by.
I wouldn't add snails. I would stick to water changes to remove nutrients.

I agree with mr x on the snails. Remember they poop too, not a cure for your bioload, it adds to it. I agree to check out live aquaria for minimum tanks sizes. There ain't much in the way of fish that can handle a tank that small for any length of time.

Back
Top Bottom