Yellow Mantis Reef Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris J

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 6g fluval edge with just a yellow mantis in it and I love him but his tank seems so barren... I was thinking of fragging a couple soft corals and placing them in there. I have Xenia and Kenya tree corals and I was thinking maybe some mushrooms. I'm also not sure how to light it, I was thinking removing the plastic "lid" and hanging a light over it, but what size/type should I go with? I have heard mantis shrimp don't like intense lighting so I was thinking a PC or maybe a 2 bulb t5. I haven't seen a Mantis Shrimp reef before, maybe there's a reason for that and I shouldn't try this. Any input is welcome. If this is a stupid idea please feel free to tell me so. Oh and here is a video of him in his tank http://youtu.be/0SbPWTsw75s

Mainly because they don't like high lighting and are not afraid to attack your hand while your putting in frags etc. Also they are very dirty and will foul water quickly which is bad for corals, but they will also kill whatever CuC you ads to help keep everything cleaner

I'm not too concerned with taking a smack from him, at least not right now. He is also a spearer type mantis and thought I could probably get away with hermits and snails. My plan for water quality was either a fluval 205? (The 40g) packed with chemipure, LR rubble and purigen, or doing a fuge in a 5g bucket. But there's still the issue of lighting. The thought that actually sparked this idea was I thought I read somewhere that the lighter colored species or mantis shrimp come from shallower water, kinda like with some corals.

I would be concerned with him hitting you. Considering they can break glass and snail shells etc. And being a spearing type will just leave you with a nice hole in your hand.

He has hit me a few times already, no real damage to speak of. I know when he grows larger it will not be so nice to get hit by him but right now it's not an issue.

Back
Top Bottom