You Nano Skimmer Experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I decided to experiment with a decent skimmer at a reasonable price. Just bought it...after days, yes days not hours, of researching protein skimmers. Front runners were Aquamaxx HOB-1, Tunze 9004 and Reef Octopus BH100...I went with BH100.
Also thinking about buying a nano media reactor from CAD Lights.
Shout out to everyone who contributed.
Will keep you posted.

Here it is:
Reef Octopus BH100 Protein Skimmer Hang on Back

Did you try skipping weekly water changes when you were running your skimmers? If so what was the result? I wonder if having a skimmer can enable one to do water changes biweekly instead of every week and keep parameters on the same levels if not lower. Thanks.
I do biweekly water changes because of my skimmer.
I think water changes are the biggest pain in the arse in this hobby and well worth the extra money to cut it in half. Water parameters stay stable unless something dies and then I have to accelerate my water changes until water is stable again.

I do biweekly water changes because of my skimmer.
I think water changes are the biggest pain in the arse in this hobby and well worth the extra money to cut it in half. Water parameters stay stable unless something dies and then I have to accelerate my water changes until water is stable again.

I have to respectfully disagree, parameters can be thrown out of whack for reasons other then just a dead fish.weekly water changes are the best thing for your fish, yes I understand people get away with biweekly water changes and some even do monthly water changes. You still to test and make sure ALL parameters are in check. IMO testing water more often then doing your weekly water changes would be a bigger pain.

Water changes come with the hobby. I understand some may think its a pain etc etc etc. I actually look forward to them and it takes me about 10-15 minutes on my 75 gallon.

It comes with the territory, water changes... Your fish will tank you...

Of course this statement is my own opinion but in a nano tank or smaller tanks other then say 75+ gallons parameters and things can change quicker. Less room for error.

I have to respectfully disagree, parameters can be thrown out of whack for reasons other then just a dead fish.weekly water changes are the best thing for your fish, yes I understand people get away with biweekly water changes and some even do monthly water changes. You still to test and make sure ALL parameters are in check. IMO testing water more often then doing your weekly water changes would be a bigger pain.

Water changes come with the hobby. I understand some may think its a pain etc etc etc. I actually look forward to them and it takes me about 10-15 minutes on my 75 gallon.

It comes with the territory, water changes... Your fish will tank you...

Of course this statement is my own opinion but in a nano tank or smaller tanks other then say 75+ gallons parameters and things can change quicker. Less room for error.

How do you get the water temp up from room in 15 minutes ??
This I find is the most time consuming.

How do you get the water temp up from room in 15 minutes ??
This I find is the most time consuming.

Sorry I'm not following you? I have the salt in a bucket with a power head and heater. I temp match to tank to bucket and then perform the water change.

Sorry I'm not following you? I have the salt in a bucket with a power head and heater. I temp match to tank to bucket and then perform the water change.

Yes I do this too but I can't get the temperature from 72 deg to 80 deg in less than 1 hour.

perhaps I should get a better heater but I use a 300 w one ???

300 watt in a 5 gallon bucket should bring it up fairly quick. I use a AquenPro 250 watt.
I'll get another heater. Probably a cheap one. Mine is designed not to stay on for more than 1 minute at a time even if the desired temperature is not reached.

Got rid of one aquaclear 30 followed by a water change and nitrates dropped from 10 ppm to 0 within 24 hrs. These filters can be tricky.
When the skimmer arrives and breaks in I'm gonna turn my second (and last) aquaclear 30 into a mini fuge or use it as a reactor for phosphates.
Dosed calcium for the first time and went from 360 to 420 within 30 mins.
Next test magnesium... First time. Heard they can be pain. Wish me luck.

Back
Top Bottom