0 Nitrites but high nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swtric85

Aquarium Advice Regular
How can I have 0ppm nitrites but 40 to 80ppm Nitrates? My PH is good and ammonia is at 0ppm but I can't get my nitrates to drop. I've done water changes, used nitrate reducer, and have been feeding less. Any suggestions?

swtric85 said:
How can I have 0ppm nitrites but 40 to 80ppm Nitrates? My PH is good and ammonia is at 0ppm but I can't get my nitrates to drop. I've done water changes, used nitrate reducer, and have been feeding less. Any suggestions?

Nitrates are the end result of the cycle. The only way to effectively remove them is through water changes.

Having 0 ammonia and nitrites is what your suppose to have. Nitrate reducers do no remove nitrate, they only make it less toxic. You need to do more or larger waterchanges.

What about those nitate removers? Don't know anything about them slow flow and anaerobic metabolism? Also heard of a DIY one using vodka been thinking bout these for awhile reading this thread jus sparked it agian thanks

Thank for the replies, I have been doing 25-40% water changes every week for about 3 months and the nitrate level won't go below 40ppm. I've had the tank a little over a year and never had a nitrate problem until about 4 months ago. Everything else stays at 0

swtric85 said:
Thank for the replies, I have been doing 25-40% water changes every week for about 3 months and the nitrate level won't go below 40ppm. I've had the tank a little over a year and never had a nitrate problem until about 4 months ago. Everything else stays at 0

What size tank? Whats stock? And how much are you feeding?

Sniperhank said:
Are you using tap water? Tap water alone can supply the nitrates and phosphates that cause issues in our tanks.

+1 check source water

Try a new test kit mine went bad almost over night 10ppm 3 days later it read over 100

It's a 25gal with a clownfish, fancy shrimp, hermit crab, and LR. I didn't want to add anything else until I get the nitrates out. I feed the clownfish a very small amount once a day. I've tested the source water and it was good.

swtric85 said:
It's a 25gal with a clownfish, fancy shrimp, hermit crab, and LR. I didn't want to add anything else until I get the nitrates out. I feed the clownfish a very small amount once a day. I've tested the source water and it was good.

Normally water changes take care of nitrate issues what about reactor with biopellits is this an option?

crister13 said:
You need a great skimmer though.

Yes you def need skimmer to run biopellets but you should really have a skimmer anyways

Back
Top Bottom