Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2007, 10:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

looks sweet...im just starting to set up my 29 gallon, since ive had it torn down for almost a year! A goby shrimp pair might also be neat in your tank.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:32 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Lookin' great newfound! How do you like that T-5 so far? I'm wondering if I'm going to have to change out some of the bulbs on mine...I'm not sure though.

Can't wait to see the tank all decked out.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Got my salt, sand and powerheads on Wednesday! Everything is in and running, but the sand doesn't seem to want to settle. As of this morning (Fri AM) the tank still looks the same. Debating whether or not to wait it out or break out the diatom filter and get all that stuff out of there. Any ideas?

DT, I haven't really run the lights too much yet as I don't have anything living in there. Does your fan turn on and off with one set of lights or not? Mine just turns on when it's plugged in and is also louder than I would like. What were you thinking of switching as far as the bulbs go?

Tank full of water, lights on, new PHs and heater in place and running:

Sand in....washed it a lot but still really cloudy.....

Nice surface agitation with the two Maxi-Jet 900s
Old 02-16-2007, 04:00 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
you might want to leave the powerheads off and give it a day or two to settle.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:58 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to vsnsofadrgn
looks great! your 6line sure is a freindl lil fishy!! such a cute pic.

hope dies last
vsnsofadrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:53 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

More pics! Got the old rock in, added 13 lbs of new rock plus the reef ball, moved the fish, and yesterday got one lonely little Ricordia (for free!). I'm hoping to get more corals next week.

One interesting note, when i moved the LR out of the 10 gallon I found a 4" brittle star under one of the rocks....had NEVER seen it in 6 months!

Question for everyone....my skimmer (a Bak Pak) is REALLY loud....are they always this loud? it's driving me nuts, and I'm really thinking of just running it during the day as it is keeping me up at night, my apt has a lofted bedroom so even though the tank is downstairs it's essentially in the same room.

Whole tank:

Fishie with his reef ball, which he loves:

New mushroom:
Old 02-23-2007, 01:08 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Cool looking tank! Mr. Sixline looks happy.

Bout the skimmer...I don't think it should be that loud, but I've never owned a BakPak, so I dunno. Have you tried to see if it's vibrating against anything? Clean the powerhead? Anything like that?

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:02 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am getting a new powerhead to have on hand just in case, but I think I will clean the old one when I get back next week.

the wrasse is so happy in his new tank! Very excited about having more room, I imagine.

I am definitely still on the steep part of the learning curve as far as aquascaping SW tanks....I can do a FW planted just fine, but dealing with exclusively hardscape still has me a little baffled. I know I need a lot more rock, and I think some smaller pieces would give me some more flexibility, but somehow I came back from hte LFS with three pieces that didn't look too big in the store but were huge in the tank!
Old 03-09-2007, 04:55 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Update: got another feather duster, a cleaner shrimp, and a royal gramma. Should be getting a bunch of corals in the mail (gotta love eBay!) on Tuesday so will update once those go in. I'm actually glad the shipment got delayed as we had record cold this week in the northeast.

So....shrimp and duster are happy. No problems there. Right after I took these pics I noticed my Caulerpa (which had been getting whitish) was getting that net-like appearance which means Impending Doom so I yanked almost all of it out. Too bad as I really liked it as a nutrient sponge. There are a few pieces left so hopefully they are OK and can stay. Next thing, I have a ton of "fuzz" growing on everything....the sand, the rocks, the glass. it is some kind of algae but it's not hair algae, it's more transparent to yellowish, the shrimp and hermits seem to like to eat it but I don't think I have enough snails to keep up with it. The LFS was out of Astraeas so that will have to wait a while. Anyone know what this is? I did have a brief diatom bloom but that is now gone. Good thing is that the coralline is spreading fast, especially on the new live rock which didn't look too "alive" when I got it but is making a nice comeback.

Now for the bad news.....Mr. cute little innocent 6 line wrasse took one look at the royal gramma and tore into him. The gramma tried to defend himself but those wrasses have big nasty teeth. The gramma is now holed up in a rock, I can just see him, but he's not a happy fishie. I'm wondering if I am going to be able to put any other reef-safe fish in the tank with the wrasse....I was thinking yellow tailed damsels might be feisty enough to defend themselves but not also kill the wrasse? Any thoughts?

Anyway, here are some pics, pre-Caulerpa removal. The weird little thing on the sand in the full tank pic is a mangrove seedling I brought back from Florida....I thought it would float but I guess not!:

Old 03-09-2007, 06:00 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Those 6 lines will pick on other fish that are easily intimidated. You may want to think about taking the RG back, mine didn't make it more than a day, when he was chased around (that was a noob mistake, poor little guy). A Kaudern's Cardinalfish might be ok. I've never owned one, so you might want to wait for more experienced advice.
Not sure what the fuzz stuff is, without a pic.
Nice pictures!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fowlr, pics, reef, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com