10 gal FOWLR to 30 gal reef upgrade diary...new pics 6/1/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, the Gramma is still hanging in there, has established a little cave under one of the pieces of LR, is moving around more, and yesterday darted out to grab some food. The 6 line ignored him during this foray so I'm hoping things will continue to get better.

In the meantime, got 2 new mushrooms (darn things need to attach, I've been chasing them all over the place!) and a nice piece of rock with a little clump of Xenia for all of $6!

Xenia:
P1030610.JPG

New mushrooms: if you look carefully in the reflection from the glass you can make out the purple of the gramma in his hiding spot.
P1030615.JPG

wow your six line attacked? my sixline is the most peacefull in the tank! he is the freindliest as well! I have both a royal gramma and a "kauderns" or bangaii cardinal and the six line is fine with them!

DT, actually the Xenia and rock were $6, the mushrooms were $5 a piece but still a good deal.

The wrasse seems to be getting used to the gramma, who is starting to venture out from his hole a little. We'll see what happens, but I think adding another (non-territorial) fish to distract the wrasse a bit might be a good idea. The gramma has been eating, and will open his mouth and flare at the wrasse if he comes close, so I am taking those as good signs!

The reef ball came from a friend of mine. the little fishtank-sized ones are demos of the real thing, which varies in size but can be up to 6' across and weigh a ton. They are used to make artificial reefs, and once deployed will have corals transplanted onto them. My friend is doing his thesis research on artificial reefs and has done some work with the Reef Ball foundation, which is where he got me the little reef ball. My wrasse absolutely loves the thing, swims in and out and around it all the time like it's a fishy jungle gym! Check out www.reefball.orgfor more info on reefballs.

New pics! The gramma is doing great, swims all over the left side of the tank but will still retreat under his rock if anything startles him. The wrasse now completely ignores him and they will even bump into each other chasing food and not even care.

Still battling some fluffy algae, doesn't really look like hair algae, and only grows on the glass, the sand and the reef ball....and it likes the high-flow areas best. Weird.
Got a bunch of new corals, some from ebay and some from LiveAquaria.com, which I can highly recommend...the corals are beautiful and were superbly packed and arrived less than 24 hours after shipping.

Whole tank:
P1030775.JPG

New huge spaghetti leather coral:
P1030796.JPG

New blue striped 'shrooms (there are 16 on this rock!):
P1030768.JPG

New zoos - the rock flipped over in transit so the closed ones got a little squished:
P1030777.JPG

Green star polyps:
P1030758.JPG

Wrasse and gramma:
P1030833.JPG

Wrasse doing his "goofy dance" that he does every night......not sure what is going on but very fun to watch him dance all over the tank with fins flared.
P1030855.JPG

P1030817.JPG

Got a nice zoo and palythoa rock from the LFS last night, looks really cool! Some of the polyps are closed in the second pic because a snail and the cleaner shrimp had recently "walked" by. The pics don't really show the colors well, under the actinics they are really fluorescent.

Actinics:
P1040186.JPG

All lights:
P1040217.JPG

Haven't updated in this thread in a while, but here are some new pics. Got some nice frags from Dr. Nate, including the frogspawn, candy cane and toadstool.
P1040519.JPG

P1040520.JPG

P1040540.JPG

P1040550.JPG

P1040558.JPG

P1040563.JPG

P1040574.JPG

Ahh, ok, I saw in another post that you have a third fish. You just posted a pic in the fishy friends.

Back
Top Bottom