Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2005, 10:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

10 gallon saltwater fish only tank, possible???? or insane

Hi i wanted to know is a 10 gallon saltwater fish only tank possible, i know they are very hard, im willing to check the chemicals daily and do weekly water changes and keep a close eye on it. The livestock would consist of one small clown and one small pepermint shrimp........ no more then that

Is this possible or am i doomed to fail, i understand things happen very fast in such a small tank...

What are the resons some people fail at this??

This is not my only saltwater tank i have 2 others. thanks.

29 gallon saltwater "reef tank", 10 lbs crushed coral, 40 lbs aruglive sand, two percula clowns, one firefish,cleaner shrimp, blue legg hermits, 25 pounds fiji live rock, penguin 350 biowheel filter, prism delux hang on protien skimmer, maxijet 1200 powerhead, 125watt ebo jager heater, regular floresent lamp.
mattt6511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You can do it, its just a lot of checking your chemicals. I know the smaller that tank the hard it is, but if you are dilligent I am sure that you will be able to do it.

Good Luck

Let us know how it turns out 8O

RHSTOYMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Its not doomed to fail, especialy since you have some expierience. Your bioload would be acceptable for this tank People keep nano-reefs with size or smaller

Keep the temperature stable, keep the water clean, and you're good to go!

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you, this is my question, if i tested my chemicals and they were a little off would i do a 10-20 percent water change, just like i would do in my 55 gallon?? i will be doing one once a week as maintance also.
29 gallon saltwater "reef tank", 10 lbs crushed coral, 40 lbs aruglive sand, two percula clowns, one firefish,cleaner shrimp, blue legg hermits, 25 pounds fiji live rock, penguin 350 biowheel filter, prism delux hang on protien skimmer, maxijet 1200 powerhead, 125watt ebo jager heater, regular floresent lamp.
mattt6511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 12:02 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

WC should take care of it. My main concern would be evaporation in a tank that size.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

As long as you are dedicated to it, you will be fine. Beware though, its addictive as you know. Before you know it you will have a Sea World sized tank like Brenden, LOL.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
It's possible just stick with the stock your thinking of and add some hermits and you'll be fine.

I have one and it's a little overstocked right now and it's doing greatly with almost zero everything lol. Just monitor your tank everyday and keep adding water hwen needed. Evaporation is somewhat of a problem. If you forget about it for like 3 days a gallon wil go away and salinity goes up to about 1.027, not an entirealy bad thing but stressful on the fish. You just have to remmeber that in small tanks a little problem can turn into a huge problem the next day.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:04 AM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Like they said it is possible and I also wonder about the evaporation rate. If you could do a bigger one it sure would help you out as well as your tankmates

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon, fish only, salt, saltwater, saltwater fish, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com