Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #101
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you Kelsey, you said what I wanted to in much better words. Espeacially the first bit; "i think he is saying it will help protect your new fish since the new fish is so weak. The new fish has just been shipped from who knows where and probably hasnt eaten in a long time..im not 100 percent sure but i think the new fish (being all weak) could even possibly get a disease from the DT that your other strong fish wouldnt get...common example would be ick."

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #102
Aquarium Advice Activist

Let's be realistic here people. A QT tank for a 10 gallon tank is just silly. What am I supposed to do, buy and set up a second 10 gallon tank and use it to QT 1-2 fish before they go into a display tank that has 1-2 fish?

QTs are for protecting large numbers of fish in display tanks from getting wiped out. Setting up a QT tank would cost more money than the fish it is supposed to protect, that's just ridiulous.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:45 PM   #103
Aquarium Advice Addict

anywayyss... haha are you going to get another cardinal? Or just going to leave it at the two fish?
0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #104
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to harmy4993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekz View Post
As I said, Ammonia and Nitrite are also at 0. What magic tricks could my lfs owner possibly use to run an overstocked tank that aren't available to me?

A quarantine tank is for protecting the fish that are already in the tank, not the new fish. It is completely irrelevant here.
how is that irrelevant? dont you have 2 other fish in the dt? seems really relevant to me

and as for what the lfs owner could do that you cant. plumb multi tanks together to a sump. that gives him more water volume, making things more stable and allowing for a over crowded bioload.

your fish died and you practice habits that are bad for the fish. its your choice no one can make you get a qt, no one can make you not over crowd a tank. no one can make you do things the way that will likely achive better success. but dont ask for advice then get mad cause its not what you want to hear. your not the first person to over crowd a tank, or not have a qt or think lfs words are gospel, or have the live stock parish because of the process.if you look you will find 100's of threads like this one with the same result and that will give you your answer
Old 05-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #105
Aquarium Advice Addict

I personally think a 10G QT is worth it to protect even a 5G DT. The cost is far outweighed by the benefits IMO.

Basically what your saying is that if your fish get something like ich in the DT and die then they are replaceable.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon, journal, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com