Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2010, 11:21 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have heard of them actually being a type of jellyfish. keep in mind they dont last long in an aquarium and are usually just there in the beginning stages.
Melevsreef.com - Jelly
is that what it looks like?

Old 04-15-2010, 11:27 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell0605 View Post
Check the link I posted above for ID'ing but I think it is some kind of sponge. Nice Firefish. He looks nice and healthy.
That link was the first thing I checked, but I don't see anything like this on that page.

I was worried that the firefish would be really timid and just hide in a corner for the first few days. But he's swimming allover the place and seems to be doing really great

Old 04-15-2010, 11:41 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetee View Post
I have heard of them actually being a type of jellyfish. keep in mind they dont last long in an aquarium and are usually just there in the beginning stages.
Melevsreef.com - Jelly
is that what it looks like?
Well that certainly got me curious, and reminded me that I had a little pocket microscrope thingy kicking around somewhere. I can't believe this worked but; taken with my iPhone THROUGH my microscope:
Old 04-15-2010, 11:52 PM   #74
is back to save the day!

Yup. That looks like a jelly to me. Nice pic btw.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:47 AM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those little things on your glass are more then likely Aiptasia babies. If they get a little bigger and are solid white then they are either mini starfish(astaria-sp)) or spinoid worms.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:33 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Activist

So today on my way home from work I stopped at the pet store right by my house and they had a bunch of little Clownfish in stock.

Very convenient instead of ordering one in from the store that's an hour away, so I couldn't resist.

I picked one up and drip acclimated it for about 2.5 hours, but ever since I put it in the tank, it has been staying in one corner and swimming erratically. It looks like he's trying to swim but can't, so I thought maybe the powerhead was too strong for him. The Firefish has never seemed to have any problems, he definitely has to "kick" once in a while to hover in place, but he certainly doesn't have any problems swimming around. But after leaving the powerhead turned off for a while, nothing has changed. This video was taken with the powerhead off:

YouTube - New Clownfish

Update:
Well I plugged the powerhead back in cause I just don't think that it could be the problem, it's pretty much the smallest one you can buy. He has come out of the corner but still has not explored very much. It just seems like it takes quite a bit of effort for him to stay in one spot, maybe this is normal behaviour and I'm just overreacting. I did put some flakes in the tank and he went right for them, so I guess at least that's a good sign.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:47 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mine bobbed too when I first got them.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:20 AM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nothing to worry about. Mine did that for two weeks straight before going anywhere else. They eat and sleep so you don't need to worry, just wait.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:48 AM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeap, normal for a clown...they are weird lol
Old 04-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Freak

even more upsetting is when they host that small area and hardly leave it. Very terrirtorial little guys.

Tags
10 gallon, journal, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com