100-120 gallon reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ternaldo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok this is a I need your opinion rather than what do I need, let me just specify that first! Ok Well im going to be setting up a 100 to a 120 gallon reef aquarium and I just want to know what kind of equiptment everyone is using. Im going to put down everything I had in mind please give me suggestions of certian brands for the equiptment thanks.

100-120 gallon tank with overflow
A all-glass aquarium trickle filter which will be turned into a sump (I dont like the DYI sumps).
A ventri type protien skimmer which sits in the sump (the one I had in mind is a Reef devil deluxe)
Metal halide lights with some atenic (spelling) bulbs
A U.V. steralizer (I dont care what people say I like them and I think they suit there function well)
A pair of heaters in the Sump

Well thats all I can think about off the bat. But I believe that this set up would work nice (also please note this is not everything for the tank, just the main "mechanical" parts). Well I hope I hear back from you all soon Happy fish keeping :)

P.S. I did not inculde alot of things (thermeters, salinity meters, ph meters, ect.) because these I dont really need know about thank you anyways.

The one thing I forgot add was 2 powerhead/wave makers (which does everyone perfer)

looks like a good start...
Live rock is more important then a UV and a wave maker so get at least 1 lb per gallon, more is better.

Overflow?? Hang on back or drilled tank?
IMO drilled is the way to go, no worries about flooding with them. Look into a reef ready tank or have your drilled in the back.
Read, read and read some more before setting it up.. MH is a good choice, what type of corals are you thinking about?
Actinic lighting is a good choice with the MH.

Yeah I know...and what a dumb thing to do by putting the overflow on the back of the tank, Drilled is the only way to go. BUt I am going to have mandarin fish so I will have 150+ pounds of live rock so thats not a worry. And I have everything under control im just asking for brands not what to do or where to go! I have been reading for almost a year, a million people I know have tanks and I have helped them take care of it. I know what im doing! I have a million books and ecyclopedias on the subject. So im fine and dandy I was just asking for good brands of quuality equiptment to look into.

P.S. By the way I have a tank myself bigger than this one so please dont advise just awnser my questions please and thank you!

Back
Top Bottom