Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-19-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
100 gallon reef tank

Hey everyone,

I have a couple questions to ask you that I think you can help me with...Alright this is my first reef tank (not saltwater but reef tank). I have a 100 gallon with:

-100 lbs of live rock (next week going to be 150)
-AquaC remora skimmer
-Fluval FX5 canister filter
-2-3" of live sand
-A couple of Aqua clear 70 powerheads
-And 3 T5 fixtures equalling 6 bulbs (enough to grow everything but SPS corals)

My first question is my new LFS told me with the live rock for the first 2-3 weeks keep the lights off and have everything running with the live rock then when that period is done your water should be crystal clear and do a 20% water change and syphon out all the crap and gunk on the bottom then you are ready to add corals. Well I didnt do that I had about 20 lbs of live rock with the lights on and now I have a slime algea problem. I have scrubed it all off but I dont think its gone, my tank is cycled and such...but what can I do to get rid of it, a water change?. I feel like I got off to a bad start and I want to fix it

Another question I have is inside my filter I have only bio balls and foam should I be using activated carbon? I never have used it but once agian the slime algea has me thinking I should probibly have some chemical filtration in there.

I just dont want to be on a bad start anymore for this tank...my FOWLR tank is doing just awsome I dont want this one to bomb so I hope you guys (or girls ) can help me out with this and have a successful reef tank within the next couple months. So thank you in advance for your imput.

Ternaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to TheRealFF
The slime on the glass is normal for a cycling tank. Just add a cleaning crew

I've never used bio balls before but it's good to use AC.

FF = Fish Freak

I am one of those reefnuts that are actually nuts!
TheRealFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Make sure the tank is completly cycled before adding anything. A cleaning crew will die if not completely cycled. Corals can be adding after the tank has stabalized.
*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
YEah. After your spike you can add a cleaning crew. They work wonders. I would leave the lights off for a week or two but then I would start turning them on for a few hours each day and work your way up to a full 6-10 hours on time in a day. Get the cleanup crew in there to deal with the algae you are goign to have with lighitng on.

Also check water parameters especialyl phosphate (PO4) and make sure it is nto high.
jasno999 is offline   Reply With Quote

reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« LR question | HELP »