10g Seahorse build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SnowZz

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is my new seahorse 10g Only build, Everything is from another stable tank including live rock,sand and water so this will be interesting.
ill post more pics when there in the tank acclimated but i have to go

the tank when it was being built 2 weeks ago:

img_1099445_0_63aed51778042b751fe1583002242c5a.jpg

The Usual Suspects:

img_1099445_1_6ab854fc0d6be2d1e08ebd6e71fab437.jpg

You did cycle the tank right? Also IMO your tank is too small for regular SH`s. The only kind that can make it in a ten gallon is dwarf seahorses.

yea its been cycling for some time now. About the tank size, not sure on the breed, but there tank bred sea horses so i guess when i get my 120g they can have the 20g in the mean time there juviniles so its ok

within the next month, im moving to NC so when i get there ill get the 120g, even when i get that im sure itll be "2 small for anything"

Last edited:
Snow, relax. People are just asking questions.. we're not judging or telling you what to do either. I think it's pretty cool you're doing a sea horse tank, but they aren't the easiest of things to take care of.

Also, we just get suspicious when people say things like, "yeah it's cycled or it's been cycling, etc.." since that usually means they've just let the tank sit for a while and consider it cycled. We've seen it so many times, and it still happens all the time, so we get tired of seeing the whole tank go up in flames because people don't do things right. If you say it's cycled, i believe you, because of what happened with your last tank i'm sure you know what the consequences are of not cycling your tank and just adding livestock.

I hope you stay on the forums and follow up on your build. Would like to see how it comes along.

umm yea, i used a small shrimp about 2 weeks ago and let it almost completely disvole. it took around 4 1/2 days, the ammonia went up to i dunno it was max BLUE on the drip kit. it went zero a few days ago and has been zero. The LFS really didnt wanna hold the horses any longer due to a new shipment coming in and they didnt have room. So i went picked em up, and also some new coral. ill post a pic of them tommarow in there new tank. So far they seem OK.

Sweet. :) Looking forward to those pictures.

And don't worry, a 120 isn't too small for pretty much anything. ;) With a tank that size, you just have to worry about overstocking with too many beautiful fish! Temptation may be great, but you'll have to restrain yourself otherwise you could bomb your whole tank. :p But that's another subject for another time, so worry about it when you cross that bridge.

eh i get a little irritated with responses i get on here, which are usally "oh you did that?" like yea w/e man i dont even wanna post my stuff because i feel like i get flamed for it. I really didnt wanna do a sea horse tank to be honoset but this was a gift to my wife.

this tank will make the perfect QT Tank, i can see it now

It will make a good QT tank for little fish like Clowns, Gobies and Blennies but if your gonna QT fish like Tangs you'll need a bigger one for the room. :)

im not buying anymore freakin tangs i promise u that, they are very tuff to train. I finally got mine eating pellet, and mysis shrimp (yep). Not luck on the flake food. Question does leaving sea weed for an extended period of time on a clip in the tank produce excess ammonia?

Updated pics of the horses, there very interesting becoming some of my favorites, current im feeding them every other day mysis shrimp. How often should i be feeding them though?

img_1100099_0_93ea9bdac5076a1e3b8e6d728f7449f5.jpg

img_1100099_1_45fa2abb1c4d4a2da93e0c7e147dc2f5.jpg

img_1100099_2_28621a3b89ad798a1072bc91f1fa1f30.jpg

img_1100099_3_a70190e1c2c75d74fbe68d4c82476e0f.jpg

eh i get a little irritated with responses i get on here, which are usally "oh you did that?" like yea w/e man i dont even wanna post my stuff because i feel like i get flamed for it. I really didnt wanna do a sea horse tank to be honoset but this was a gift to my wife.

I`m sorry you feel that way but I for one am going to tell you the truth. I`m not going to tell you what you want to hear because if it`s wrong and one of your fish die then I will feel bad about it. Everyone has the right to post what their opinion is and it`s your job to sift through it and choose what you think might help. I`m personally trying to help you as are many people here. Something more to think about when you get irritated. We are here to help not hurt.

yay sorry it instantly puts you in a bad mood when you post something and not get some postive feed back. But any who old news ill post updates i suppose.

im not buying anymore freakin tangs i promise u that, they are very tuff to train. I finally got mine eating pellet, and mysis shrimp (yep). Not luck on the flake food. Question does leaving sea weed for an extended period of time on a clip in the tank produce excess ammonia?
No, it won't. It might get to soft and float away. You may have been feeding your tangs to much protein, they are more herbifores than meat eater. I had the hardest time training my Kole tang. Tangs are fun but they do need lots of swimming space. Your 125 would be perfect for a couple of Tangs.
PS: keep me posted on your horses. I just love to follow a horse tank....

Dont let it get you down. Remember it`s all constructive critisism and it should make better. You said something about "not positive feed back". That can be a good thing if you let it. I remember if you read that thread that some told me things that I was doing wrong and it helped me in the long run and it will do the same for you. Keep an open mind and you`ll do OK. Good luck on the tank.

Back
Top Bottom