12-50 gallon upgrade build thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Russ_gibbo1985

Aquarium Advice Freak
So now begins my build for my girlfriends tank in our bedroom.
The view from there end of the bed used to look like this

ForumRunner_20120531_114909.jpg

And now looks like THIS!

ForumRunner_20120531_115004.jpg

I can't wait to start this build, im off work tomorrow so it's off to my lfs, ill be picking up

Eheim external cannister filter 75g rated

20kg of live sand (i have a fresh 30kg of reef sand to top up if needed)

50 g of premixed saltwater

10kg of tonga branch lr (i have 8kg of Indonesian lr to come over from the nano)

Next week my deltec mce300 will arrive along with 2 koralia 2600lph power heads and a deltec wavemaker. I also have a tmc v2 vecton 200 uv steriliser and a hydor eth external heater to fit.
I have removed the internal filter box to clean it up and ummed and ahhhd about weather to put it back in but I don't think It will be necessary to have that unsightly thing in there lol.
Sorry about the essay lol.

Also still in 2 minds over lighting. Either 6x t5s? Or a unit which has
2x 150w metal halide
4x t5 tubes
6x leds (not sure on the wattage but I understand they are useless any way!)
What do you tgink guys I'd like to be able to grow sps too?

I am running 25 3w LEDs over my tank. I am growing sps no problems. In fact, l normally tone them down a bit because they are too strong, and you need to acclimate slowly to not bleach the Lps guys.

Consider grabbing some nice LeDs. Incredibly cheaper in the long run (no bulb replacement cost), 10 year life span with only a 30% reduction, allot less expensive on energy consumption, and best of all very little heat escaping into you aquarium water! Look into the the way the light travels as well. LEDs are more linear, the light travels deeper without loosing effectiveness in the depths.

Have you considered a sump? DIY sumps are a lot cheaper than canisters and pack way more benefits! Including a fuge!

I understand all the pros of leds but for me they are still way over priced at the minute, and from everywhere i read they aren't as reliable as companies would have you believe, i will eventually join the led army but not yet lol! :)
At the minute for me it's a choice of these two, just don't know which one?!

Well the halides are better of the two. But heat is going to be hard to maintain. You may need a 200$ chiller. (another reason to consider LEDs). The t5s are good, but now you possibly have less light for corals depending in your bulb type. Oh, and you'll have to replace the bulbs every 8-9 months. That will get oober expensive.

... You should talk to Mr. X, be forewarned, the guy has tried everything from reading his threads, and I know which way he is going to sway. Good luck either way. Tanks are not cheap, just want the best for everyone.

Russ_gibbo1985 said:
I understand all the pros of leds but for me they are still way over priced at the minute, and from everywhere i read they aren't as reliable as companies would have you believe, i will eventually join the led army but not yet lol! :)
At the minute for me it's a choice of these two, just don't know which one?!

So your telling me ecotech radions aren't reliable?? Led is the best option out there just do some research

So I've decided on the 6x tube t5 i was gonna go for an eight, but it's too wide and won't fit. The halide is out too as I'm gonna build a perspex cover for it as it's in our bedroom and I don't want too much evaporation, for that reason I'm not going for the halide as it will either melt of twist my cover with the heat and possibly cook my inhabitants lol.

So after a few hiccups (misplaced one of my seals for my uv steriliser which put me back a day lol)
I picked up an aqua one aquis 1250 (300 ltr rated) and 10kg of nice tonga branch and 5kgs of fiji.
There will be another 8kgs of indonesian lr from the nano to come over as well. So the tank is now cycling for the next four to six weeks.
So next week my power heads wavemaker and skimmer will be here, im dismantling my tropical fw tank in the living room and gonna use the inline heater from that on this so all ill have in the tank is my inlet and return for my filter and my power heads. :)
Then another fortnight and I'll order my new light ready to start transferring fish corals and rock from the nano.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120603_200109.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120603_200109.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 195
  • ForumRunner_20120603_200137.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120603_200137.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 166
Patrick93 said:
So your telling me ecotech radions aren't reliable?? Led is the best option out there just do some research

The radion is the only led unit I'd consider buying, these units are unreal nut I'm just not spending 650 quid on a fitting for this tank.
When I set up the 120 gal in the living that will be powered by 2x radions and 2x vortechs. :)

Day 3 of cycling and although there's a he'll of a lot of nitrite, it's progressing pretty well!

Here they are.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120605_074931.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120605_074931.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 137
Still a little murky but here's my first attempt at my rockscape quite happy at the moment but not sure it will stay that way lol
What do you guys think??

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120605_232907.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120605_232907.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 133
I don't know too much about the sw side of life, but I think the scape looks pretty nice. Your cycle seems to be progressing well too. :)

absolutangel04 said:
I don't know too much about the sw side of life, but I think the scape looks pretty nice. Your cycle seems to be progressing well too. :)

Thanks can't believe how quickly its moving along think the rock was part cured at the lfs to be honest for it to be moving along this quick!

Just rigged up my spraybar siliconed all the fittings nicely but it's whistling lol, it's doing my head in, aby ideas why??

Just rigged up my spraybar siliconed all the fittings nicely but it's whistling lol, it's doing my head in, aby ideas why??

Mine does it sometimes, you got air in the filter? if not try cleaning out the spray bar with one of those long wire brushs

Steg its brand new bud an there's defo no air at all pretty meticulous with bleeding lol.

Cant wait going to pick up another load of stuff. Got my wavemaker and power heads. My deltec should arrive early next week. :)
Then it's just my lighting to finalise, still think I'm heading for the 6x t5 unit.

A little update my two koralias and my wavemaker are in and working pretty sweet i do gave a hell of a it of flow though.
Day 10 of my new tank cycling and we are definitely getting there.
Ammonia 0.25ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 10ppm
Just waiting for my ammonia to hit zero now and I think it's about there! :)

Back
Top Bottom