12 Gallon Fluval Edge - Need a Powerhead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Packohotdogs

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Everyone,

I started a 12 gallon Fluval Edge about a month ago. It is a fish only set-up... No live rock, just Nutri Seawater and Fiji Pink live sand. It came with a HOB 3-stage filter, which is 100GPH. So, 12 gallons at 100GPH = 8.3333 turnovers per hour

I currently have 2 small clowns in it. I am thinking of adding a cleaner shrimp after a couple more weeks (just to make sure the water/bacteria is perfect).

My question is would these little guys benefit from a small powerhead? Something like a hydor koralia nano 240 Or Aqueon 250?

One of my little guys loves to sit next to the heater right under the filter water fall at the top of the tank. Kind of made me think that he would like to hang near a powerhead.

What do you guys think??? Thanks in advance!
Jeff

Packohotdogs said:
Hi Everyone,

I started a 12 gallon Fluval Edge about a month ago. It is a fish only set-up... No live rock, just Nutri Seawater and Fiji Pink live sand. It came with a HOB 3-stage filter, which is 100GPH. So, 12 gallons at 100GPH = 8.3333 turnovers per hour

I currently have 2 small clowns in it. I am thinking of adding a cleaner shrimp after a couple more weeks (just to make sure the water/bacteria is perfect).

My question is would these little guys benefit from a small powerhead? Something like a hydor koralia nano 240 Or Aqueon 250?

One of my little guys loves to sit next to the heater right under the filter water fall at the top of the tank. Kind of made me think that he would like to hang near a powerhead.

What do you guys think??? Thanks in advance!
Jeff

They will benefit from a bigger tank. Not knocking you at all but that tank is to small for a pair of clowns.

12 gallon tank, you should look into nano fish. I have a 8 gallon and I have a goby pistol shrimp pair.

A power head will be needed depending on what corals you wanna keep in your tank.

They will benefit from a bigger tank. Not knocking you at all but that tank is to small for a pair of clowns.

12 gallon tank, you should look into nano fish. I have a 8 gallon and I have a goby pistol shrimp pair.

A power head will be needed depending on what corals you wanna keep in your tank.

Understood. Having a kid any day now, and plan to get a JBJ 29 gallon cube before halloween. :)

For the time being, would it be beneficial to the little guys? No coral until said upgrade, just the two fish and a shrimp down the road. :)

Packohotdogs said:
Understood. Having a kid any day now, and plan to get a JBJ 29 gallon cube before halloween. :)

For the time being, would it be beneficial to the little guys? No coral until said upgrade, just the two fish and a shrimp down the road. :)

Congratulations!! How much flow is the filter providing? A nano 240 will be fine in a 12 gallon.

Congratulations!! How much flow is the filter providing? A nano 240 will be fine in a 12 gallon.

Thank you sir!!! :) It's wonderful yet scary experiance thus far!!

It came with a Fluval clear flow HOB 3-stage filter, which is 100GPH. So, 12 gallons at 100GPH = 8.3333 turnovers per hour .

1. Powerhead will help with circulation and help with leftovers and waste that settle on the sandbed.
2. Why don't you have any lr in your tank?

Packohotdogs said:
Thank you sir!!! :) It's wonderful yet scary experiance thus far!!

It came with a Fluval clear flow HOB 3-stage filter, which is 100GPH. So, 12 gallons at 100GPH = 8.3333 turnovers per hour .

Yea it is lol. My son will be one year on the 29th.

You can add the power head. Just watch your fish I they seem to be struggling then take it out but with the 240 I don't see any issues.

I'd add some live rock too, for shelter for the fish and for the bio load. Just a couple of small pieces, shouldn't run you much more than $10 or $15

2. Why don't you have any lr in your tank?

Because I'm a numbnutz, and the LFS didn't fully explain the benefits. If I had it to do it over, I certainly would!! :facepalm:

My JBJ certainly will!!!

My goodness Convict... What a sexy *** tank!!!! I just saw one of your vids... I want to be like you when I grow up!!! :)

Yeah, I thought a 12 gallon FO would be a good way to get my feet wet. How quickly I have outgrown it!!! Oh well, the Fluval 12 will be a nice tank in my son's room... :)

If I go with the power head, where's the best place to aim it? I have a lot of surface action due to the filter...

Packohotdogs said:
My goodness Convict... What a sexy *** tank!!!! I just saw one of your vids... I want to be like you when I grow up!!! :)

Yeah, I thought a 12 gallon FO would be a good way to get my feet wet. How quickly I have outgrown it!!! Oh well, the Fluval 12 will be a nice tank in my son's room... :)

If I go with the power head, where's the best place to aim it? I have a lot of surface action due to the filter...

Why thanks for the kind words! I have the members here to thank for getting me through the tough part and helping me along the way :)

The power head will be more of a plug and play kinda thing. You can try to put on either side and aim it diagonally across and towards the glass and upwards a little. If you find it too much just move it. You just don't wanna stir up the sand etc...

Swung by the LFS this evening and picked up a Hydor Nano 240... Got a great deal!!

Just hooked it up. Clowns seem to be having a blast and look pretty happy!!! They aren't struggling and are staying next to each other.

This head seems the perfect size for this tank.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!!!

Back
Top Bottom