Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

12 Gallon Fluval Edge - Need a Powerhead?

Hi Everyone,

I started a 12 gallon Fluval Edge about a month ago. It is a fish only set-up... No live rock, just Nutri Seawater and Fiji Pink live sand. It came with a HOB 3-stage filter, which is 100GPH. So, 12 gallons at 100GPH = 8.3333 turnovers per hour

I currently have 2 small clowns in it. I am thinking of adding a cleaner shrimp after a couple more weeks (just to make sure the water/bacteria is perfect).

My question is would these little guys benefit from a small powerhead? Something like a hydor koralia nano 240 Or Aqueon 250?

One of my little guys loves to sit next to the heater right under the filter water fall at the top of the tank. Kind of made me think that he would like to hang near a powerhead.

What do you guys think??? Thanks in advance!
Jeff

Old 08-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packohotdogs
Hi Everyone,

I started a 12 gallon Fluval Edge about a month ago. It is a fish only set-up... No live rock, just Nutri Seawater and Fiji Pink live sand. It came with a HOB 3-stage filter, which is 100GPH. So, 12 gallons at 100GPH = 8.3333 turnovers per hour

I currently have 2 small clowns in it. I am thinking of adding a cleaner shrimp after a couple more weeks (just to make sure the water/bacteria is perfect).

My question is would these little guys benefit from a small powerhead? Something like a hydor koralia nano 240 Or Aqueon 250?

One of my little guys loves to sit next to the heater right under the filter water fall at the top of the tank. Kind of made me think that he would like to hang near a powerhead.

What do you guys think??? Thanks in advance!
Jeff
They will benefit from a bigger tank. Not knocking you at all but that tank is to small for a pair of clowns.

12 gallon tank, you should look into nano fish. I have a 8 gallon and I have a goby pistol shrimp pair.

A power head will be needed depending on what corals you wanna keep in your tank.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
They will benefit from a bigger tank. Not knocking you at all but that tank is to small for a pair of clowns.

12 gallon tank, you should look into nano fish. I have a 8 gallon and I have a goby pistol shrimp pair.

A power head will be needed depending on what corals you wanna keep in your tank.
Understood. Having a kid any day now, and plan to get a JBJ 29 gallon cube before halloween.

For the time being, would it be beneficial to the little guys? No coral until said upgrade, just the two fish and a shrimp down the road.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Understood. Having a kid any day now, and plan to get a JBJ 29 gallon cube before halloween.

For the time being, would it be beneficial to the little guys? No coral until said upgrade, just the two fish and a shrimp down the road.
Congratulations!! How much flow is the filter providing? A nano 240 will be fine in a 12 gallon.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 08-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
Congratulations!! How much flow is the filter providing? A nano 240 will be fine in a 12 gallon.

Thank you sir!!! It's wonderful yet scary experiance thus far!!

It came with a Fluval clear flow HOB 3-stage filter, which is 100GPH. So, 12 gallons at 100GPH = 8.3333 turnovers per hour .
Old 08-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

1. Powerhead will help with circulation and help with leftovers and waste that settle on the sandbed.
2. Why don't you have any lr in your tank?
Old 08-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Thank you sir!!! It's wonderful yet scary experiance thus far!!

It came with a Fluval clear flow HOB 3-stage filter, which is 100GPH. So, 12 gallons at 100GPH = 8.3333 turnovers per hour .
Yea it is lol. My son will be one year on the 29th.

You can add the power head. Just watch your fish I they seem to be struggling then take it out but with the 240 I don't see any issues.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd add some live rock too, for shelter for the fish and for the bio load. Just a couple of small pieces, shouldn't run you much more than $10 or $15
Old 08-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirp View Post
2. Why don't you have any lr in your tank?

Because I'm a numbnutz, and the LFS didn't fully explain the benefits. If I had it to do it over, I certainly would!!

My JBJ certainly will!!!
Old 08-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can't wait for the jbj pics! I have a BC29 and a innovative marine 8 gallon.

Tags
12 gallon, 2 gallon, fluval, fluval edge, gallon, powerhead, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com