120g move or sell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rush

Aquarium Advice Freak
So initially I was going to move everything in my 120g reef and the tank to my new house (15 minutes away). But now I am having second thoughts.

So many people I have spoken to have lost everything or most of their livestock. Now I am in a debate whether I should continue with my original plan or if I should sell everything off except for my tank, LR and equipment and start over with fish and corals.

What does everyone think the best course of action would be?

I say move it. I`ve moved mine and have moved others for them and never had a problem. The people you are talking about probably moved their sand instead of getting new sand. IMO always use new sand on a move. Too much trash in the old sand and hard to get out.

It's hard to tell. I know it can be done.

Let me tell you what I learned from my move that resulted in all my fish dying.

The movers did not use heaters in the fish bucket and it was 40 degrees outside. Even though they were in the house, they got cold.

They just placed them in the tank without thinking about temperature. Ultimately, it was discovered that they kept the tank w/o PWC's and the nitrates were >300. so, the new sW I had mixed was not good for them.

I wouldn't worry about the LR and soft corals. If they are kept submerged you should be fine. Now I can't speak to sps or LPS.

I think if you can managed to transport all livestock in containers and account for temperature and keep them submerged, you should be okay. Have some new water ready as well.

Oh, the sand bed will need to be scrapped I you did a DSB in your DT. stirring that will cause a cycle.

I say move it. I`ve moved mine and have moved others for them and never had a problem. The people you are talking about probably moved their sand instead of getting new sand. IMO always use new sand on a move. Too much trash in the old sand and hard to get out.

Exactly my plan, keep most of the water, have water pre made when i get there and just throw out the old sand and get new sand.

should not have nay problems. i have moved a couple tanks before, jsut not something this size, but its the same concept

i will just get new sand!

It's hard to tell. I know it can be done.

Let me tell you what I learned from my move that resulted in all my fish dying.

The movers did not use heaters in the fish bucket and it was 40 degrees outside. Even though they were in the house, they got cold.

They just placed them in the tank without thinking about temperature. Ultimately, it was discovered that they kept the tank w/o PWC's and the nitrates were >300. so, the new sW I had mixed was not good for them.

I wouldn't worry about the LR and soft corals. If they are kept submerged you should be fine. Now I can't speak to sps or LPS.

I think if you can managed to transport all livestock in containers and account for temperature and keep them submerged, you should be okay. Have some new water ready as well.

Oh, the sand bed will need to be scrapped I you did a DSB in your DT. stirring that will cause a cycle.

I have enough heaters and pumps the rubbermades i am keeping the corals and fish in. I will also pre heat a room in the new place nice and warm to help out.

I dont think I will suffer any losses, at least i hope not. Just have to plan it out properly.

I need to make sure I have a good hour so set everything up the way i want it set up. LR i want to place in a new way.

But I think with keeping temp the same and new sand I should be fine.

I will check the water first to make sure i have no ammonia spikes

I would put the fish in small ice chests. That will keep the temperature from changing too quickly. Take your time setting everything up, you will make less mistakes if you are not in a hurry. Think about how much time fish spend in containers when they are shipped. Then drip acclimate your fish. And defiantly new sand. Good luck.

If it's only 15 min away I'd go for it. Some of the larger reef setups I see on craigslist are by people who are about to move and are almost giving away their setups (120gal established for years - $700). If you want to get back into the hobby you're going to kick yourself. I plan on moving back East (2,500mi+) in a few years, and I fully plan on moving my tank with me... have put in too much $ to start over again.

i've moved a tank and sand and its all good now.

i just kept the sand in the tank and a little bit of water to cover it...... this might be hard with a 120 gallon tho

Awkward ..

Anyway I would move the tank if I were you. Moved my old 55 three times and never lost any livestock (expect maybe the occasional snail I lost track of)

Back
Top Bottom