125g Stocking Ideas, again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
I figured I'd start a fresh thread so people don't have to dig through hundreds of pages of my build thread. lol

My 125g is back i business and I need suggestions as to what to add next. My requirements are as follows:

Doesnt jump, so no wrasses
reef and invert safe
Under $60 or so
Nothing too agressive

I currently have:
yellow tang
pair of oscellaris
lawnmower blenny
pink spotted watchman
Blue tang( still in qt)
MAYBE a blue mandarin from my 29g tank too, still thinking about it

I would like to add:
Diamond sand sifting goby Will this be an issue with the goby i have already? Can 2 live in a 6 foot tank?

Midas Blenny- again, I have a blenny but he looks nothing like the midas so will they be ok together?

As far as any other fish I'm open. I was looking at anthias' and really really like blue reef chromis, I was thinking 3 of them.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Thanks everyone! I always appreciate all the help I get here!

No ideas folks? LOL

Another question, are there any reef safe angel fish? Or maybe something else that I'm not thinking of?

Dont get the diamond goby if you dont want jumpers. I know someone who had 1 for a week then it jumped. You could possibly do another smaller tang. If you like them.

What about a flame angel or a coral beauty.

Aren't these reef safe with caution? I have alot of corals already and plan on getting more so I don't want any nippers. I also would like to get a clam at some point and it seems alot of fish nip at the mantles....

Lawmower & midas should be fine together, in that big of a tank-- from research, not experience.

And CB arn't safe w/ corals.. Flame Angels usually okay..

Carey,

My Coral Beauty is a good angelfish, my flame is so-so. My black line needs to be caught and sent to the LFS. Everybody has a different experience with them.
I wouldn't have more than one sand sifting goby, but thats just me
I think if the wrasses are shaped a bit different you will be okay, there are a lot of wrasses, but they hit the surface now and then.
No hawkfish, they jump
Several Tangs you could still add
Royal gramma
Fire fish, several cool kinds
The green Chromis can get mean and don't school in a tank
no more damsels for me

Black volitan black volitan!!! Its reef safe;) I couldn't help it lol its a habit... I couldn't really make any reef-safe non-aggressive suggestions, seems every fish I love is either a bully or non reef

NOT a saltie, but what about an angel? I love angels! I like coral beauties personally and have seen people keep them successfully in reefs but if you're not sure about it you can try any of the ones people reccommended before.

What about another tang? Seems like you have room...but this is me. AGAIN, not a saltie.

@greg
Well my pink spotted watchman doesn t sift not sure if that makes a difference. I had a royal gramma but he passed in the "holocaust" I had a month or two ago. :-( I think I wanna keep the tangs at 2 for now, might re consider in the future. The blue reef chromis arent the green ones, these actually school and are very cool
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Blue Reef Chromis

I think I will pass on the angels though, it seems soo very hard to find one for sure that is coral safe and theo nes that are I can only get through online.

And nope, no lionfish LOL ;-)

Still unsure of what to add. I'm thinking an anthias again, I really really liked the squareback I had that died, but if I move the mandarin into the 125g I dont want to get a fish that will compete for the same food even though it seems I have enough pods I don't want too many fish that will deplete them.

I know, I;m being difficult..LOL I have a lot of stipulations for what I want. I appreciate the help so far though. So keep the ideas coming.

I'll have to check these chromis's out. I have never found a fish that will retain it's schooling habits in captivity. Literature says it is because of the way we feed the fish. Instead of a continuous flow of food, we hit them a few times a day, or a week in some cases. Somehow this breaks up the schooling habit. Let us know what happens. A pink spotted watchman goby that doesn't sift sand? Fire him.
I think the tilefish is a good one, but have had trouble with purple anthias getting them to feed well.

i have 5 chromis and they all school together in my tank one is larger then the rest and hes the leader he goes and they all swim behind him

Back
Top Bottom